Thanksgiving pudding – anyone for melktert?
The proof of the pudding is in the eating…
Whichever Thanksgiving pudding you choose it’s sure to be the perfect way to round off a splendid thanksgiving dinner….
South African Melk tart – “melktert”
3 tbs melted butter
1 cup white sugar
3 egg yolks
1 cup self raising or cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups milk
3 egg whites
1 tbs cinnamon sugar
What to do next…
- Preheat oven 190 degrees C. Oil/grease a 9 inch pie dish
- mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolks, beat ’til light and fluffy. Sivee flour, baking powder and salt, stir until blended.
- Add vanilla and milk and combine.
- in a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to form stiff peaks, fold into the batter and pour into the pie, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top
- bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 165 degrees C. and bake for a further 25 to 30 minutes until set.
- Serve hot or cold.
for the pastry…
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup lard
3/4 cup butter
1 lightly beaten egg
1 tbs distilled white vinegar
For the filling…
1 cup sugar, granulated
3 tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
What to do next… For the pastry
- Combine flour, salt, lard and butter.
- Add egg, 5 tablespoons cold water, white vinegar.
- Divide the dough into two and chill (you’ll only need to use have the pastry for this recipe)
For the filling…
- Pre-heat the oven 170 degrees C.
- combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, vanilla, butter and eggs
- Roll out pastry to fit your tin. Place pecans onto the unbaked pastry. Add above syrup mix. Cover with foil
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 mins until firm to touch.
- Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. Serve and enjoy.
Happy Thanksgiving from the Zambezi team.
Ask an expert
We've helped first-timers and seasoned travellers in Africa since 1995. We can help you take advantage of mainstream options.
Better still we'll show you how and where to step off well beaten paths for the more interesting journeys.
Drop a note right here...