Thanksgiving recipes – a bit on the side, the African way
Thanksgiving recipes…. it’s time for a side dish
American roasted squash with crispy maple pumpkin seeds…
The use of maple syrup in this recipe turns the simple squash into a delicious accompaniment for your Thanksgiving turkey dinner
2 squash halved with seeds removed
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs pure maple syrup
3/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
175 ml pumpkin seeds lightly toasted
pinch cayenne pepper
what to do next…
- place squash cut sides down on greased baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven 400F (200C) for 45 to 60 minutes
- allow to cool and scoop out the flesh
- take a large bowl and mash the squash until smooth
- stir in 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp syrup, 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper
- spread the mix in large, shallow baking dish
- stir together pumpkin seeds, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp syrup, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and cayenne and sprinkle over the squash
- Turn up the oven temperature to 425F (220C) and cook for around 20 mins or until golden Serves 12 as a side dish
Serves 12 as a side dish for thanksgiving.
African Roast Pumpkin slices…
10 slices pumpkin peel left on, cut about 1/2 inch thick
2 teaspoons butter, heaped, per slice
2 teaspoons brown sugar, per slice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon per slice (or more)
what to do next…
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C.
- wash the pumpkin. Slice and remove seeds
- arrange the slices in an oven dish, overlapping slightly
- rub butter over the slices (2 teaspoons per slice)
- sprinkle over brown sugar
- sprinkle with cinnamon then salt
- bake for 45 mins. until the pumpkin peel is soft and sugar melted
Ask an expert
We've helped first-timers and seasoned travellers in Africa since 1995. We can help you take advantage of mainstream options.
Better still we'll show you how and where to step off well beaten paths for the more interesting journeys.
Drop a note right here...