A great safari combo… Hwange Explorer Safari – a wildlife bonanza second to none. Discover the iconic Victoria Falls and some of the best wildlife in Africa!
The Hwange Explorer includes 3 nights at the boutique Ilala Lodge in Victoria Falls before moving on for 3 nights deep in the heart of the Hwange National Park – Zimbabwe’s biggest and best known wildlife park and home of the Presidential herd of elephants.
- Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Hwange National Park
- 7 days /6 nights
Highlights of the Hwange Explorer
Try some extreme activities in Africa’s “adventure capital” or simply relax, walk in the rain forests which overlook the falls – great for bird spotting, take a spa or enjoy afternoon tea – choice is yours!
- We’ll stay 3 nights at the delightful Ilala Lodge Hotel in Victoria Falls with *complimentary 3 course a la carte dinner per person. This is the closest hotel to Victoria Falls and the town centre
- sunset cruise on the *Ra-Ikane with premium brand drinks, executive snacks, transfers and river usage fees per/person (*valid 1st Jan – 20th Dec 2017)
- guided tour of the Falls
- Boma dinner under the stars
- moving on to Zimbabwe’s biggest and best known wildlife park Hwange National Park famous for its Presidential herd of elephant
- spend 3 nghts at the unique Camp Hwange on full board basis. (Some say that to stay at Camp Hwange is more than a great safari, it is an experience of life!)
- Hwange is a private concession with excellent game viewing on day and night game drives and walks with some of the best guides in Africa
- Game drives and guided walks to experience the park and its wildlife – giraffe, lion, zebra and approximately 40 000 elephant. The park is also home to Zimbabwe’s endangered wild dog population (one of the largest groups in Africa)
Best time to go to Hwange
- June to September – winter months can be rather chilly at night but clear, sunny and warm during the day
- November to March – summer months. Hot and sunny with short, heavy rain storms in the afternoons.
You're met on arrival for transfer to Ilala Lodge Hotel. Your room looks across the lawns to the National Parks where elephant, warthog, impala or the occasional buffalo pass by.
During your time at the Falls enjoy a Ra-Ikane Sunset Cruise, guided tour of Victoria Falls, dinner at the Boma at Victoria Falls Safaris Lodge, a cultural true Zimbabwean experience!
Road transfer to Camp Hwange - a unique experience with excellent day and night game drives with the best guides in Africa.
Explore Zimbabwe’s biggest reserve, home to a profusion of wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and approximately 40 000 elephants.
A final game drive back to the main road and then on to Victoria Falls Airport where you continue under your own arrangements.
How to get there
By air from Johannesburg, Lusaka or Harare to Victoria Falls.
Please ask your Zambezi consultant if you would like to book your flights.
Zimbabwe has an impressive road infrastructure by African standards particularly between the major centres.
Car hire is available but expensive. Many regional clients successfully self-drive into Victoria Falls via Zimbabwe, Zambia or Botswana.
The rail network is not extensive, serving Bulawayo and Victoria Falls best. The rail safaris between the two towns are very successful.
Tips and notes
Price based on two sharing and includes:
- Airport transfers
- 3 nights Victoria Falls boutique lodge bed/breakfast basis
- Dinner at the Boma
- Sunset cruise on the Upper Zambezi
- Guided Tour of the Falls (excludes Rainforest entrance fee)
- Road transfers between Vic Falls and Hwange National Park return
- 3 night Camp Hwange or similar full board basis
- Drinks in Victoria Falls and rain forest entrance fee of US$30 per person
- Hwange Conservation fees @US$10.00 per person per day
- Visa fees at @US$55.00 per person single entry (dependent on nationality)
- Tips and items of a personal nature
- Additional meals and laundry in Victoria Falls
The powerful and majestic Zambezi River is home to Victoria Falls, one of the 7 natural wonders of the world and a world heritage site. The Falls are twice the height of the Niagara Falls and one-and-a-half times the width. The Falls are found at the joining of 4 countries – Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana and Namibia although Zimbabwe has the lion’s share of the view of the Falls.
Hwange National Park is on the north eastern border with Botswana and part of the same eco-system as Chobe National Park, well-known for extraordinarily large herds of elephants. The park is home to over 100 mammal speeices, including lion, leopard and rhino.
Spend a minimum of 3 nights in any room type at Ilala Lodge Hotel
- Receive one x 3 course a la carte dinner per/person free of charge – No drinks
- Receive a sunset cruise on the Ra-Ikane including premium brand drinks, executive snacks, transfers and river usage fees per/person
Valid for stays completed between 1st January – 20th December 2017
"Victoria Falls in December: We returned last week from a trip that left us with many stunning experiences and impressions. When it comes to the lion encounter and elephant safari,"Britta.M read more >>
"Victoria Falls in January: We had a wonderful time The service was wonderful. Everything taken care of, and organized very well. Pick up and drop off, tours etc were well"A & J read more >>
"Zimbabwe Hwange – April All went remarkably well. From transfers, hotel pickups, personable guides to attentive hospitality at the camp the whole experience was outstanding. Very fortunate for us that"Teresa D read more >>
"Victoria Falls Big 5 Special – September Hi Mark, Feedback all very positive. We had a fantastic time, all the transfers and logistics went very smoothly which can make or"Daniel S read more >>
"Zimbabwe-November The Victoria Falls itinerary was wonderful. Ilala Lodge, Shockwave Rafting, and the Sunset Cruise were all excellent and I can strongly recommend these. The climb up the gorge after"Brian G read more >>
"Thank you so much for organising such an amazing trip for us Our Aussie friends loved every single second of it and couldn’t believe that each day seemed to get"J read more >>
"Hi Mark, We had a fantastic holiday which went very smoothly and much too fast. Hopefully we can get back there one day! Richard"Richard and Natasha read more >>
"Dear Ang, The trip went well, very well. Every thing was great, more, to be honest, the trip has gone better than I expected. If you want I can describe"read more >>
"Victoria Falls in September: It was an experience of a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the entire staff being superb. Everyone was so accommodating. Being greeted by Denzel, who"Patricia N read more >>
"Zimbabwe-September: Hi Chris, Sorry it’s taken so long to give you feedback from our trip to Zimbabwe! We took the plunge to visit Zimbabwe this September, after hearing great reviews!"Tony + Helen R read more >>
"Kariba and Hwange in September:: Well organized and exciting. I went both to an safari island in Kariba lake and a walking safari in a reserve. Everything was organized perfectly,"Peter N read more >>
Wildlife and waterfalls – from Victoria Falls World Heritage Site to game drives and river cruising in the Chobe National Park. This week long safari has it all.
A walking safari between two remote and seasonal camps in the Luangwa’s Chikoko area along elephant and hippo trails
A 7-night exploration of Mana Pools – a canoeing and walking safari with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps
A typical 8 day safari which combines remote spots in both North and South Luangwa – suitable for families and small groups.
Hwange National Park adjoins the Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More