The Masai Mara safari in Kenya
10 days of sheer indulgence in Kenya. Discover African wildlife in a landscape of far reaching views with romantic meals under the Kenyan night sky. Stay in the ultimate ‘room with a view’ at Elsa’s Kopje one of Africa’s most elegant Lodges. Experience the exclusive wilderness haven of Sabuk and the stunning Cottar’s 1920’s safari camp for the wildebeest migration in the Masai Mara.
This Masai Mara safari in Kenya showcases the true spirit of Kenya
- Meru National Park
- Masai Mara Reserve
- 10 days/9 nights
This classic trip is ideal for a family holiday in East Africa
Highlights of the Masai Mara safari
- Luxury full board accommodation in Africa’s most famous wildlife park
- Spend 3 nights at Elsa’s Kopje, (former home of Elsa the lion from the book and film “Born Free”). One of the most elegant lodges in Africa in one of the most spectacular settings. The best upmarket location to view rhino in their natural habitat in Kenya. Cottages are the ultimate in comfort and style. Uniquely designed with fabulous infinity pool overlooking the Meru plains. Beautiful, wild, and diverse, home to the Dik, Kudu duiker, lesser and oryx and more than 300 species of birds. View the playground of Elsa the lion and the site of George Adamson’s camp. Elsa’s Kopje is the only lodge in the park, guests have this wilderness to themselves
- The wild, semi-arid Laikipia is home to the majority of Kenya’s conservation. Alive with leopard, buffalo, lion and elephant, Laikipia is base for the next 3 nights. Stay at the exclusive wilderness of Sabuk high on a cliff overlooking the Ewaso Nyiro River on the Northern Laikipia Plateau. The Lodge is a family home with stunning views of the Laikipia plains and Mount Kenya
- Cottar’s 1920s Safari Camp sits in a 6,000 acre private conservancy. A perfect location for game walks, day and night drives to see the Masai Mara wildebeest migration. Meet and interact with the Maasai Community and learn about their culture. All accommodation is simply beautiful and elegantly furnished with rattan sofas and draped four posters. Full of colonial African style.P
- bush breakfasts, picnics on river banks and sundowners on hilltops
- cultural visits
- river swimming, line fishing, rock jumping, tubing the rapids (seasonal)
- horse riding safari and Hot air ballooning safari (at extra cost)
- South East Mara’s Rhino large impressive population
- great for hill walks to see Verreaux Eagles on cliff nesting sites
- Cotter’s Camp Swimming Pool (main camp), Massage & Spa treatments
- Cotter’s Camp – Enjoy the most exciting shower or bath of your life – specially set up in the Savannah for a truly unique bathing experience!
When is the best time to go to the Masai Mara?
January, February, July, August, September or October – recommend travelling at this time of year
April, May and November – The heaviest rains fall.
This safari is ideal for singles, couples, and family safaris but is perfect for romantic getaways!
You'll be met on arrival at Joma Kenyatta Airport for short transfer to Wilson Airport and onto a scheduled flight to Nanyuki. Transfer to Elsa's Kopje in the Meru National Park, full board.
Scheduled game drives and activities including Camel trekking, walking, game drives, fishing, swimming in stunning swimming pools, relaxing in gorgeous bedrooms and enjoying superb hospitality.
Elsa’s Kopje is on Mughwango hill with 360 degree views toward Mount Kenya. There's a fertile spring at the foot of the hill which attracts herds of elephant, buffalo and giraffe.
Fly on to the Laikipia Plateau, home to rhinoceros, elephant and lion among many other species. Your safari lodge is perched on a cliff and enjoys immense views across the Rift Valley.
Stay at Sabuk, accommodation with all meals, soft drinks, house wines and beer, scheduled game drives and activities.
Guided nature walks, day and night game drives by 4-wheel drive vehicles, bush breakfasts & picnic lunches on the river banks, hilltop sundowners, cultural visits, line fishing, river swimming, tubing
A true 'out of Africa' experience... stay at Cotter's 1920's Camp on full board basis with bush meals and sundowners and all scheduled game drives and activities.
This area is home to most of the Mara’s population of rhino so there are regular sightings. Plus lion, leopard, , buffalo, wildebeest, zebra, cheetah, elephant and gazelle.
Guided hill walks, spot Verreaux Eagles, rare chandlers reedbuck. Day & night game drives, bush meals & sundowners.Cultural Visits.River swimming & fishing,swimming pool (main camp), massage & spa.
Game drive transfer to the airstrip for a scheduled flight to JK International airport. Continue under your own arrangements.
How to get there
From Nairobi, depart on a scheduled flight for Meru National Park, the spectacular wilderness where George and Joy Adamson raised Elsa the Lion.
Tips and notes
Included at Elsa’s Lodge:
- full board accommodation at Elsa’s Kopje
- scheduled game drives and activities
Excludes All Drinks – drinks supplement $40 per adult per day, $30 per child. Spa treatments, tips and items of a personal nature.
Included at Laikipa:
- guided bush walks
- guided bird walks
- bush meals
- cultural visits
- camel assisted walking safaris
- day excursions
- laundry service
- Loisaba airstrip transfers
Excludes: Massages, champagne/luxury spirits/selected wines, extra meal, tips, items of a personal nature.
Included at Cotter’s Camp:
- Full board accommodation
- guided bush walks
- bush meals
- day & night game drives
- one 30 minute complimentary massage per tent
- transfers to cultural visits
- limited laundry
- all statutory taxes
Excludes All drinks – drinks supplement $40 per adult per day.
The safari excludes International flights, spa treatments, tips and items of a personal nature.
"The trip was fantastic, a grand adventure. Having Rekero to ourselves was just amazing, it felt like being in the 1920s!! We saw a lovely leopard walking"Anthea D read more >>
""We spent an hour in Loliondo surrounded by a pride of 14 lions so close I felt I could reach out and touch them.""John & Aileen S. read more >>
10 days of bush breakfasts, sundowners, game drives and cultural visits in territory where Joy Adamson lived and wrote ‘Born Free’
Roam Kenya’s Northern Frontier District like a nomad from the Francombe family’s private ranch in Laikipia, heartlands of the Samburu people.
Fantastic wildlife and stunning scenery! From Ngorongoro to Africa’s great Serengeti plains – an action pack safari experience!
Laikipia and the Northern Frontier District is where our real safari exploration takes place - beyond the crowdsRead More
Masai Mara is the best safari park in Kenya for the wildebeest migration from July to October. Visit small camps and lodges - see the map and reviewsRead More
Blighted in the 1980's Meru National Park with diverse habitats is a stunning safari spot with good infrastructure and healthy populations of wildlifeRead More