The Northern Tanzania Safari
You’ll find the easiest Tanzania safari up in the northern circuit. That’s from Arusha, through Tarangire, into Manyara, via the Ngorongoro Crater then on to the Serengeti. This is where the annual migration takes place.
This is your opportunity to discover the outstanding natural beauty of Northern Tanzania. We include the iconic Ngorongoro Crater in addition to resident wildlife and the annual wildebeest migration. With the sights, sounds and feel of real Africa. You get to meet the Maasai, explore part of the Great Rift Valley and witness wildlife on a grand scale. We use deluxe lodges in the following places:
- Tarangire National Park
- Lake Manyara National Park
- Ngorongoro Crater and Conservation Area
- Serengeti National Park
This typical Tanzania safari is run over 10 days/9 nights. It’s available all year round.
Highlights of the Northern Circuit
Why choose the Northern Tanzania Safari? That’s easy, firstly we’ll visit world-class national parks. In addition we stay in deluxe lodges. You discover resident wildlife. Finally we have the grand finale – the Serengeti!
- So Arusha is the safari hub of Africa. While in Arusha why not choose an optional market visit for a little exploration.
- Firstly we have selected two nights in the Tarangire National Park where the wildlife is excellent.
- We visit Lake Manyara because you have a good chance to spot the famous tree-climbing lions! Manyara also has great habitat diversity.
- You experience the micro climate of Ngorongoro where we spend time on a game drive down the rim across the crater itself.
- You meet the Maasai people and while you’re with them you’ll learn about their culture and lifestyle.
- Then on to the Serengeti for two days searching for the wildebeest migration, resident wildlife and spotting predators.
- You can soar over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon for a birds eye view! (Optional)
- Finally, this is a Big five destination. So look out for buffalo, elephants, rhino, lion and leopard.
Best time to do the Northern Tanzania safari
Tanzania is a year round destination, please go to ‘useful info’ below for safari dates.
- The best time to visit is from June to October when there’s very little rainfall
- “Mvuli” short rainy season between November/December
- “Masika” is the longer rainy season from March to May
You'll be met on arrival in Arusha and taken to your hotel. Visit the Tanzanite Experience Museum (rare precious gemstone. Optional extra) Go shopping or swimming in the hotel pool.
Game view transfer to your luxury tented camp. Excellent guides, giant baobab trees, large herds of elephants, plains game and predators.
Road transfer to Manyara Lodge. Picnic lunch, climb the Great Rift Valley escarpment, sinset dinner at the Kirurumu. The area is famous for tree climbing lions, big game. elephant, buffalo & birdlife.
Leisurely walk to visit the local Iraqw tribe, breakfast then road transfer to Ngorongoro Crater searching for rare black rhinos and black-maned lions.
Morning game drive, lunch at the lodge and drive into the highlands. A walking tou or the area and of local bomas with a Maasai Chief.
Road transfer to the Serengeti via Olduvai Gorge and onto Kirurumu Serengeti Camp, evening game drive
Action packed days in the Serengeti with game drives to view lion prides, solitary leopards, cheetah, impala - the greatest concentration of mammals on earth! Hot air balloon safaris (extra cost)
breakfast then transfer to the local airstrip for your flights back to Arusha to continue with your onward travel arrangements... perhaps make time for a little sightseeing or shopping en route
How to get there
This safari starts and ends in Arusha
Please ask your Zambezi consultant if you would like us to book your international flights for you.
Tips and notes
From US4,685 to US$5,705 per person, price depends on date of departure
Single supplement US$100 to US$855 per person, price depends on date of departure
Prices valid from 1st Jan to 31st Dec 2017
- Accommodation on bed and breakfast basis
- Park fees
- Government taxes
- International flights
- All drinks
- Personal travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
Trip valid on the following 2017 dates:
03 Jan 17 – 12 Jan 17
17-Jan-17 – 25 Jan
31-Jan-17 – 09 Feb
14-Feb-17 – 23 Feb
28-Feb-17 – 09 Mar
14-Mar-17 – 23 Mar
28-Mar-17 – 06 Apr
11-Apr-17 – 20 Apr
25-Apr-17 – 04 May
09-May-17 – 18 May
23-May-17 – 01 Jun
06-Jun-17 – 15 Jun
20-Jun-17 – 29 Jun
04-Jul-17 – 13 Jul
17-Jul-17 – 27 Jul
01-Aug-17 – 10 Aug
15-Aug-17 – 24 Aug
29-Aug-17 – 07 Sept
11-Sept-17 – 21 Sept
26-Sept-17 – 05 Oct
10-Oct-17 – 19 Oct
24-Oct-17 – 02 Nov
07-Nov-17 – 16 Nov
21-Nov-17 – 30 Nov
05-Dec-17 – 14 Dec
19-Dec-17 – 28 Dec
An indulgent step back in Kenya’s safari history covering the Masai Mara and parts of the Northern Frontier District
Fantastic wildlife and stunning scenery! From Ngorongoro to Africa’s great Serengeti plains – an action pack safari experience!
One of the most under-rated National Parks and a must-see safari spot route from Arusha to Ngorongoro Crater and the SerengetiRead More
The Ngorongoro Crater is a collapsed volcano sheltering over 25,000 animals in a steep-sided bowl of abundance and incredible sceneryRead More
The Serengeti National Park's sheer numbers of animals, biodiversity and easy access have made it a must for any African travelerRead More
Tarangire National Park is well-suited to walking safaris; less visited than the Serengeti region but with excellent wildlife and is easy to reachRead More