Victoria Falls Big 5 Safari
The Victoria Falls big 5 safari tour is an intense adventure from Africa’s iconic Vic Falls. This year-round wildlife bonanza combines the splendour of the World Heritage Site with some of the best big game in Hwange National Park.
- Victoria Falls
- Hwange National Park
- 7 days/6 nights
Highlights of the Victoria Falls big 5 safari
- We spend 3 nights at Gorges Lodge just outside Victoria Falls, away from the crowds but within easy access of the Falls
- you can get very active in Africa’s “adventure capital”
- plenty of time for intense game viewing in Zambezi National Park
- soak up the splendour of the rain forests overlooking the falls themselves
- it’s just a short flight to Hwange for 3 nights in the heart of the National Park. (The reserve is on the north eastern border with Botswana so it shares the same eco system as Chobe)
- we’ll stay at the the Hide Safari Camp within the Hwange National Park.
- accommodation in beautifully-furnished en-suite tents with private verandas overlookint a nearby waterhole.
Best time to do this safari tour
Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are great year round destinations. The rainforest around the Falls is always soaked in the spray from the Falls so we’ll provide a raincoat and waterproof bag for your camera.
- May to October – dry season when Hwange is at its very best. Large herds of elephants and other animals come to the waterholes to drink.
- April, May and September – the temperatures are pleasant with little rain.
- Do take some time to read these notes on our “secret seasons in Africa” as you’re most likely to miss the crowds and get the best prices.
See ‘useful info’ below for seasonal rates and optional activities
An excellent value Big 5 safari available year round
(Photos courtesy Tami Walker)
You'll be met on arrival by our driver for the 25 minute transfer to Gorges Lodge, on the edge of the gorge -your base for 3 nights. Time to arrange your sunset cruise and tour of the Falls.
Visit local village and school, Traditional dancing, Verreaux's eagle viewing with sundowners, Gorge walk
Vic Falls is a bucket list must see and you're about to find out why! One of the natural wonders of the world. 1700m wide and a 100m drop. Take a raincoat, the spray is constant all year round!
You'll be picked up from your hotel after breakfast for your game drive transfer to The Hide. Surrounded by private concession home to wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and 40,000 elephants!
Take an early morning walk followed by a morning drive after breakfast. In the afternoon you could head out again, stopping off for a sundowner and a night-drive back to camp.
A final game drive transfer back to the airstrip for your flight to Vic Falls Airport and your onward travel.
Tips and notes
Season special 16 Jan to 28 Feb 2017
US$2,100 per person sharing
Green season travel from 01March to 31 March and 11 Nov to 15 Dec 2017
US$2,450 per person sharing
Mid season travel from 01 April to 30 Jun 2017
US$2,693 per person sharing
High season travel from 01 Jul to 31 Oct 2017
US$3,332 per person sharing
Single supplements are applicable
This Big 5 safari tour is based on two sharing and includes:
- 3 nights at gorges Lodge with breakfast
- Sunset cruise on the Upper Zambezi
- Tour of the Falls including raincoats, bottled water and transfers
- Return air transfers between Vic Falls and Hwange National Park
- 3 nights at the Hwange camp on full board basis including local brand drinks
- Game activities include game drives in open 4×4 vehicles
- Guided walks in the early mornings and evenings
- View game from your tent veranda during siesta time and watch thirsty wildlife drinking from the waterhole
- Guests can visit a local village and even participate in community projects
- Entry fee to the Falls US$30 per person (subject to change)
- Lunch, dinner, drinks and laundry at the hotel
- Visa fees and gratuities and items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
Year round activities at Vic Falls:
- bunjee jumping
- white water rafting
- microlight flights
- river cruises
- fishing expeditions
- excellent spas
- golf courses
- horse carriage rides
- game drives into the surrounding National Parks
How to get there
Vic Falls is an easy flight from Johannesburg.
"My safari booking with Zambezi exceeded my expectations!"Mike Berlin read more >>
""Our highlight was to watch the birth of a Wildebeest.""Michael G read more >>
"Zimbabwe – September: The trip was awesome and, in particular, Blue Footprints was spectacular! We loved it there and highly recommend it, you found a gem there! So many good"Ron M read more >>
"Zimbabwe July: I had travelled with Zambezi Safari & Travel before but my partner Janet hadn’t. We were both taking early retirement and I wanted to surprise her with something"Steve and Janet read more >>
"Illala Lodge was out of this world! Wildlife was fantastic wildlife and the friendliness and knowledge of the guides were second to none."James M read more >>
"Hwange in July: Right from my first email with Liz, I knew we were in good hands. This was our first visit to Africa and we didn’t really know where"Shelia read more >>
"A wonderful company with great knowledge and very friendly staff My family have booked with Zambezi Safari & Travel Company for over 10 years. Every year we say it will"DebbieD read more >>
"Victoria Falls – April Hi Mark We are back home. We had a great time; wonderful people, helpful, good food and fun. Daniel"Daniel G read more >>
"Hi Liz, We just arrived home today, You are by the best travel agent I have ever worked with! Your knowledge, service and speed to rectify any issues we encountered was"Rosie Currell-Paynting read more >>
"Victoria Falls in January: We had a wonderful time The service was wonderful. Everything taken care of, and organized very well. Pick up and drop off, tours etc were well"A & J read more >>
"Zimbabwe Hwange – April All went remarkably well. From transfers, hotel pickups, personable guides to attentive hospitality at the camp the whole experience was outstanding. Very fortunate for us that"Teresa D read more >>
"Victoria Falls Big 5 Special – September Hi Mark, Feedback all very positive. We had a fantastic time, all the transfers and logistics went very smoothly which can make or"Daniel S read more >>
"Thank you, Ang! We had a wonderful time on our honeymoon. Everything was perfect and we didn’t have to worry about a thing. You were very helpful, flexible, and attentive."Kim VanderWeert read more >>
"Victoria Falls,January:: Holiday to remember! Booking the holiday was very easy as our agent was brilliant and delivered exactly what we asked for! VSFL was amazing with stunning views all"Happy Camper read more >>
"We were impressed with all aspects of our safari. The Ilala lodge was lovely and also handy in terms of location to the Falls and town. "Cathy P read more >>
"Thank you so much for organising such an amazing trip for us Our Aussie friends loved every single second of it and couldn’t believe that each day seemed to get"J read more >>
"Victoria Falls in September: It was an experience of a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the entire staff being superb. Everyone was so accommodating. Being greeted by Denzel, who"Patricia N read more >>
"Zimbabwe-September: Hi Chris, Sorry it’s taken so long to give you feedback from our trip to Zimbabwe! We took the plunge to visit Zimbabwe this September, after hearing great reviews!"Tony + Helen R read more >>
"Kariba and Hwange in September:: Well organized and exciting. I went both to an safari island in Kariba lake and a walking safari in a reserve. Everything was organized perfectly,"Peter N read more >>
Visit Chobe National Park on an unbeatable and affordable safari tour from Victoria Falls
Explore Chobe and the Okavango on a fully supported mobile safari over 10 days. Run year round on set dates or private departures on request.
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
Probably one of the best deals you’ll find from Victoria Falls into Hwange. You stay for 6 nights and only pay for 4. That’s a 33% discount!
Hwange National Park adjoins the Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More