Victoria Falls Big 5 Safari
The Victoria Falls big 5 safari tour is an intense adventure from Africa’s iconic Vic Falls. This year-round wildlife bonanza combines the splendour of the World Heritage Site with some of the best big game in Hwange National Park.
- Victoria Falls
- Hwange National Park
- 7 days/6 nights
Highlights of the Victoria Falls big 5 safari
- We spend 3 nights at the gracious Ilala Lodge because it’s the closest hotel to the actual rain forest and the town centre. (So don’t be surprised to see warthog and elephant as they wander around town.)
- You can get very active in Africa’s “adventure capital”
- plenty of time for intense game viewing in Zambezi National Park
- soak up the splendour of the rain forests overlooking the falls themselves
- it’s just a short flight to Hwange for 3 nights in the heart of the National Park. (The reserve is on the north eastern border with Botswana so it shares the same eco system as Chobe)
- we’ll stay at the intimate Davison’s Safari Camp, under a canopy of ancient false mopane tree. The camp overlooks an extremely productive waterhole so both game and predators come to drink
- accommodation is in large, safe and comfortable safari tents with open deck with a fire pit for dining to complete the quintessential safari experience.
Best time to do this safari tour
Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are great year round destinations. The rainforest around the Falls is always soaked in the spray from the Falls so we’ll provide a raincoat and waterproof bag for your camera.
- May to October – dry season when Hwange is at its very best. Large herds of elephants and other animals come to the waterholes to drink.
- April, May and September – the temperatures are pleasant with little rain.
- Do take some time to read these notes on our “secret seasons in Africa” as you’re most likely to miss the crowds and get the best prices.
See ‘useful info’ below for optional activities
An excellent value Big 5 safari available year round
(Photos courtesy Dana Allen and Mike Myers for Wilderness Safaris; Tami Walker)
You'll be met on arrival by our driver for the 35 minute transfer to Ilala Lodge, your base for 3 nights. Time to arrange your sunset cruise and tour of the Falls. You'll be met on arrival.
You'll be picked up and driven to Chobe NP for the day. The park has more elephants than anywhere else in Africa plus Buffalo, warthog, zebra, kudu, impala and 450 birds species!
Vic Falls is a bucket list must see and you're about to find out why! One of the natural wonders of the world. 1700m wide and a 100m drop. Take a raincoat, the spray is constant all year round!
You'll be picked up from your hotel after breakfast and driven to the Airport for the short flight to Hwange. You're met at the Linkwasha airstrip for game drive transfer to Davison's Camp
The Camp is set among ancient false mopane trees overlooking a waterhole where predators and plains game come to drink.Game drives, guided walks, visit a local village, sundowner drives.
A final game drive transfer back to the airstrip for your flight to Vic Falls Airport and your onward travel.
How to get there
Vic Falls is an easy flight from Johannesburg.
Tips and notes
This Big 5 safari tour is based on two sharing and includes:
- 3 nights at Ilila Lodge with breakfast
- Sunset cruise on the Upper Zambezi
- Tour of the Falls including raincoats, bottled water and transfers
- Return air transfers between Vic Falls and Hwange National Park
- 3 nights at the Hwange camp on full board basis including local brand drinks
- Game activities include game drives in open 4×4 vehicles
- Guided walks in the early mornings and evenings
- View game from your tent veranda during siesta time and watch thirsty wildlife drinking from the waterhole
- Guests can visit a local village and even participate in community projects
- Entry fee to the Falls US$30 per person (subject to change)
- Lunch, dinner, drinks and laundry at the hotel
- Visa fees and gratuities and items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
Year round activities at Vic Falls:
- bunjee jumping
- white water rafting
- microlight flights
- river cruises
- fishing expeditions
- excellent spas
- golf courses
- horse carriage rides
- game drives into the surrounding National Parks
"Zimbabwe July: I had travelled with Zambezi Safari & Travel before but my partner Janet hadn’t. We were both taking early retirement and I wanted to surprise her with something"Steve and Janet read more >>
"Hwange in July: Right from my first email with Liz, I knew we were in good hands. This was our first visit to Africa and we didn’t really know where"Shelia read more >>
"A wonderful company with great knowledge and very friendly staff My family have booked with Zambezi Safari & Travel Company for over 10 years. Every year we say it will"DebbieD read more >>
"Victoria Falls – April Hi Mark We are back home. We had a great time; wonderful people, helpful, good food and fun. Daniel"Daniel G read more >>
"Hi Liz, We just arrived home today, You are by the best travel agent I have ever worked with! Your knowledge, service and speed to rectify any issues we encountered was"Rosie Currell-Paynting read more >>
"Victoria Falls in January: We had a wonderful time The service was wonderful. Everything taken care of, and organized very well. Pick up and drop off, tours etc were well"A & J read more >>
"Zimbabwe Hwange – April All went remarkably well. From transfers, hotel pickups, personable guides to attentive hospitality at the camp the whole experience was outstanding. Very fortunate for us that"Teresa D read more >>
"Victoria Falls Big 5 Special – September Hi Mark, Feedback all very positive. We had a fantastic time, all the transfers and logistics went very smoothly which can make or"Daniel S read more >>
"Victoria Falls,January:: Holiday to remember! Booking the holiday was very easy as our agent was brilliant and delivered exactly what we asked for! VSFL was amazing with stunning views all"Happy Camper read more >>
"We were impressed with all aspects of our safari. The Ilala lodge was lovely and also handy in terms of location to the Falls and town. "Cathy P read more >>
"Thank you so much for organising such an amazing trip for us Our Aussie friends loved every single second of it and couldn’t believe that each day seemed to get"J read more >>
"Victoria Falls in September: It was an experience of a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the entire staff being superb. Everyone was so accommodating. Being greeted by Denzel, who"Patricia N read more >>
"Zimbabwe-September: Hi Chris, Sorry it’s taken so long to give you feedback from our trip to Zimbabwe! We took the plunge to visit Zimbabwe this September, after hearing great reviews!"Tony + Helen R read more >>
"Kariba and Hwange in September:: Well organized and exciting. I went both to an safari island in Kariba lake and a walking safari in a reserve. Everything was organized perfectly,"Peter N read more >>
Visit Chobe National Park on an unbeatable and affordable safari tour from Victoria Falls
Explore Chobe and the Okavango on a fully supported mobile safari over 10 days. Run year round on set dates or private departures on request.
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
Probably one of the best deals you’ll find from Victoria Falls into Hwange. You stay for 6 nights and only pay for 4. That’s a 33% discount!
Hwange National Park adjoins the Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More