Victoria Falls Big 5 Safari
The Victoria Falls big 5 safari is an intense adventure from Africa’s iconic Victoria Falls. This year-round wildlife bonanza combines the splendour of the World Heritage Site with some of the best big game in Hwange National Park.
- Victoria Falls
- Hwange National Park
- 7 days/6 nights
Highlights of the Victoria Falls big 5 safari
- We spend 3 nights at the gracious Ilala Lodge, the closest hotel to Victoria Falls and the town centre. (Don’t be surprised to see warthog and elephant wandering through the town.)
- get active in Africa’s “adventure capital”
- plenty of time for intense game viewing in Zambezi National Park
- soak up the splendour of the rain forests overlooking the falls themselves
- it’s just a short flight to Hwange for 3 nights in the heart of the National Park. (The reserve is on the north eastern border with Botswana and shares the same eco system as Chobe)
- we’ll stay at the intimate Davison’s Safari Camp, under a canopy of ancient false mopane tree. The camp overlooks an extremely productive waterhole where both game and predators come to drink
- accommodation is in large, safe and comfortable safari tents with open deck with a fire pit for dining to complete the quintessential Hwange experience.
Best time to do the Victoria Falls big 5
Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are great year round destinations. The rainforest around the Falls is always soaked in the spray from the Falls, don’t forget your raincoat and a waterproof bag for your camera.
- May to October – dry season when Hwange is at its very best. Large herds of elephants and other animals come to the waterholes to drink.
- April, May and September – the temperatures are pleasant with little rain.
See ‘useful info’ below for activities at Victoria Falls
An excellent value Big 5 safari available year round from Victoria Falls
(Photos courtesy Dana Allen and Mike Myers for Wilderness Safaris; Tami Walker)
You'll be met on arrival by our driver for the 35 minute transfer to Ilala Lodge, your base for 3 nights. Time to arrange your sunset cruise and tour of the Falls. You'll be met on arrival.
You'll be picked up and driven to Chobe NP for the day. The park has more elephants than anywhere else in Africa plus Buffalo, warthog, zebra, kudu, impala and 450 birds species!
Victoria Falls is a bucket list must see and you're about to find out why! One of the natural wonders of the world. 1700m wide and a 100m drop. Take a raincoat, the spray is constant all year round!
You'll be picked up from your hotel after breakfast and driven to Victoria Falls Airport for the short flight to Hwange. You're met at the Linkwasha airstrip for game drive transfer to Davison's Camp
The Camp is set among ancient false mopane trees overlooking a waterhole where predators and plains game come to drink.Game drives, guided walks, visit a local village, sundowner drives.
A final game drive transfer back to the airstrip for your flight to Victoria Falls Airport and your onward travel.
How to get there
Victoria Falls is an easy flight from Johannesburg.
Tips and notes
Victoria Falls Big 5 safari is based on two sharing and includes:
- 3 nights at Ilila Lodge with breakfast
- Sunset cruise on the Upper Zambezi
- Tour of the Falls including raincoats, bottled water and transfers
- Return air transfers between Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park
- 3 nights at the Hwange camp on full board basis including local brand drinks
- Game activities include game drives in open 4×4 vehicles
- Guided walks in the early mornings and evenings
- View game from your tent veranda during siesta time and watch thirsty wildlife drinking from the waterhole
- Guests can visit a local village and even participate in community projects
- Entry fee to the Falls US$30 per person (subject to change)
- Lunch, dinner, drinks and laundry at the hotel
- Visa fees and gratuities and items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
Year round activities at Victoria Falls:
- bunjee jumping
- white water rafting
- microlight flights
- river cruises
- fishing expeditions
- excellent spas
- golf courses
- horse carriage rides
- game drives into the surrounding National Parks
"Zimbabwe July: I had travelled with Zambezi Safari & Travel before but my partner Janet hadn’t. We were both taking early retirement and I wanted to surprise her with something"Steve and Janet read more >>
"Hwange in July: Right from my first email with Liz, I knew we were in good hands. This was our first visit to Africa and we didn’t really know where"Shelia read more >>
"A wonderful company with great knowledge and very friendly staff My family have booked with Zambezi Safari & Travel Company for over 10 years. Every year we say it will"DebbieD read more >>
"Victoria Falls in January: We had a wonderful time The service was wonderful. Everything taken care of, and organized very well. Pick up and drop off, tours etc were well"A & J read more >>
"Victoria Falls,January:: Holiday to remember! Booking the holiday was very easy as our agent was brilliant and delivered exactly what we asked for! VSFL was amazing with stunning views all"Happy Camper read more >>
"Victoria Falls in September: It was an experience of a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the entire staff being superb. Everyone was so accommodating. Being greeted by Denzel, who"Patricia N read more >>
"Zimbabwe-September: Hi Chris, Sorry it’s taken so long to give you feedback from our trip to Zimbabwe! We took the plunge to visit Zimbabwe this September, after hearing great reviews!"Tony + Helen R read more >>
"Kariba and Hwange in September:: Well organized and exciting. I went both to an safari island in Kariba lake and a walking safari in a reserve. Everything was organized perfectly,"Peter N read more >>
Hwange National Park adjoins Botswana's Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access into Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana and NamibiaRead More