The Spirit of the Zambezi
Arguably the best Zambezi safari around for decades – by canoe, foot, vehicle and good wits – always in the company of best friends. From Mana Pools to Matusadona to Vic Falls. Our traditional and ORIGINAL “Spirit of the Zambezi” safari. It’s been the bare-bones-guts of the best Zambezi trips for 21 years!
- Mana Pools National Park
- Matusadona National Park on Lake Kariba
- Victoria Falls
- Zambezi National Park
- 10 days/9 nights
Highlights of this Zambezi Safari
- 3-night canoeing trip down the Lower Zambezi, through the heart of the Mana Pools National Park.
- plane transfer to Musango Island on Lake Kariba with 3 nights shoreline of Matusadona National Park.
- light aircraft to Victoria Falls
- 3 nights on the upper Zambezi
- guided tour of Victoria Falls, sunset cruise on the Upper Zambezi River
- a day-trip to the Chobe National Park in Botswana for a different landscape, new river and more wildlife.
Best times for this gem
- October and November if you can handle the heat and have an affinity for some of Africa’s wildest thunderstorms. Outstanding migrant birds, residents go truly wild as the new rains start (around mid November)
- early December if you’re looking for some of the most abundant new life with no tourists in sight
- January to April – birds, bugs, big beasts and complete abundance with few visitors about – good rains in February (stick to reliable routes)
- May and June – absolute champagne months
- July to September – great game, predictably good warm weather – prime time
- late September and October – best time for game. Very hot and water is scarce in the bush.
Meet at the office in Kariba at 7.30 - briefing. Start canoeing stopping for lunch, refreshments en route, setting up camp at 5pm. Campsites are on designated island sites.
Day starts with tea/coffee and biscuits at sunrise. Pack up camp and set off. stop for breakfast then continue canoeing until lunch and siesta to avoid the midday heat.
Transfer to Mana Pools Airstrip for your flight to Bumi Hills where you're met by boat and taken to Musango Safari Camp.Good game watching as you explore Lake Kariba.
Boat transfer back to Bumi Hills airstrip and on to Victoria Falls. Road transfer to Imbabla. Tour the Falls, day trip to Chobe NP for game viewing, time to explore Victoria Falls.
Transfer to Victoria Falls Airport after breakfast, where you will connect to your scheduled flight home.
How to get there
Fly to either Harare, Victoria Falls or Lusaka and transfer from there.
You will start your canoe safari on the Zambezi from Kariba
This trip can be combined with a number of others, and is particularly excellent when done in conjunction with a visit to Victoria Falls and a safari in the Hwange National Park.
Tips and notes
- Road transfers to and from Kariba town
- All meals
- Tea, coffee, cordials, imported wines with dinner and 2 litres of mineral water per person per day
- Canoeing equipment
- Camping equipment
- Fully qualified and experienced canoe guide
- Additional drinks – you will be taken shopping to buy your own additional beverages, with cool boxes supplied to store them in
- Camping and national parks fees @US$100pppn (payable in cash)
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
A 7-night exploration of Mana Pools – a canoeing and walking safari with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps
A walking safari between two remote and seasonal camps in the Luangwa’s Chikoko area along elephant and hippo trails
Combine creature comforts in Victoria Falls with an active safari in Hwange’s wild reaches with one of Zimbabwe’s top guiding teams over a week
Mana Pools National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve is best known for Zambezi canoeing and walking safarisRead More
Matusadona is on the edge of Lake Kariba in the middle Zambezi Valley, one of the last wild sanctuaries of the black rhino and a safari secret of noteRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More