safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Thanksgiving pudding – anyone for melktert?
The proof of the pudding is in the eating…
Whichever Thanksgiving pudding you choose it’s sure to be the perfect way to round off a splendid thanksgiving dinner….
South African Melk tart – “melktert”
3 tbs melted butter
1 cup white sugar
3 egg yolks
1 cup self raising or cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups milk
3 egg whites
1 tbs cinnamon sugar
What to do next…
- Preheat oven 190 degrees C. Oil/grease a 9 inch pie dish
- mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolks, beat ’til light and fluffy. Sivee flour, baking powder and salt, stir until blended.
- Add vanilla and milk and combine.
- in a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to form stiff peaks, fold into the batter and pour into the pie, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top
- bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 165 degrees C. and bake for a further 25 to 30 minutes until set.
- Serve hot or cold.
for the pastry…
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup lard
3/4 cup butter
1 lightly beaten egg
1 tbs distilled white vinegar
For the filling…
1 cup sugar, granulated
3 tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
What to do next… For the pastry
- Combine flour, salt, lard and butter.
- Add egg, 5 tablespoons cold water, white vinegar.
- Divide the dough into two and chill (you’ll only need to use have the pastry for this recipe)
For the filling…
- Pre-heat the oven 170 degrees C.
- combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, vanilla, butter and eggs
- Roll out pastry to fit your tin. Place pecans onto the unbaked pastry. Add above syrup mix. Cover with foil
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 mins until firm to touch.
- Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. Serve and enjoy.