safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Open season for Zambezi canoe safaris
May heralds open season and the start of the mild winter months in the Zambezi valley. The summer rains have ended, days are warm and the nights are crystal clear.
In the wild reaches some 600 km downstream of Victoria Falls, down in the lower Zambezi valley we’re gearing up for a season of big game encounters. Through the silent and deep gorges below Kariba down into the languid but wild mainstream past Mana Pools. Still further on to the largest, most remote, least populated and undeveloped safari areas on the river – through Chewore, Sapi and the Mupata Gorge down to Kanyemba on the border with Mozambique.
Wildlife conditions are extraordinary. The river, shoreline and the neighbouring floodplains host an increasingly rich abundance of game as we head into the hot and dry season before the new season’s rains start again in mid November. Elephants, hippos, buffalo and smaller species are drawn down from the towering valley escarpment to the floodplain and shoreline congregations.
Canoe and walking safaris down in the valley offer some of the best safari experiences you’re likely to find anywhere in Africa from May to early November.
We do it 3 ways – “fairly tame”, “adventure style” and “expeditionary” for the more intrepid. Find out more about all the options and see the canoe safari map.
Wild Canoeing past Mana Pools.
A selection of 3 to 10 nights Zambezi canoe safaris on the lower Zambezi. “Full participation” camping, “backed up” canoe and walking trails, ”custom safaris”.
Tame canoeing from Victoria Falls
An unhurried 5-night getaway with 2 nights in a comfortable lodge, 2 nights canoeing the upper Zambezi plus a night in luxury at Victoria Falls.
Zambezi canoe safaris are available throughout the year
- May and June – mildest weather and clearest skies, excellent rates. (see notes on the “secret season”)
- July to September – superb game, it’s “high season” so book early
- October and November – devilishly hot, the game is at it’s very best and the migrant birds are in the Valley
- November to March – wet summer season. The only option is to run the Kariba and Chirundu to Mana “participation” trips.
- Find out about canoe safaris in southern Africa.
- Canoe safari styles, seasons and river stretches
- A sample safari including Victoria Falls and Mana Pools
More on Facebook
Wherever in the world you are, our Zambezi community is full of easy-going travel-minded friends who take their fun seriously. Come and join the adventure.