safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Democratic Republic of Congo
With tropical rainforests, glacial mountains and open savannahs, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is a secretive wilderness sheltering a number of rare and endemic species including the rare bonobo chimpanzee. The forest bais play host to the great numbers of forest elephant and lowland gorillas which populate the rainforests.
The Democratic Republic of Congo includes part of the large and fertile Congo Basin. This is the second largest tropical rainforest in the world. Here you’ll find species of mammal, birds and plants that are scarce or non-existent elsewhere in Africa.
With some incredibly rare species, as well as plenty of endemic ones, the Democratic Republic of Congo is the naturalist’s dream.
- This is the only place in the world to see the rare bonobo chimpanzee (they’re also sometimes called Pygmy Chimpanzees)
- both species of chimpanzee can be found here, as well as mountain gorillas, okapi and rhino
- the Okapi is an animal endemic to this region of Africa, and it looks like a zebra, although it is most closely related to the giraffe
- other native animals include the buffalo, forest elephant and manatee, all can all be found in the forests
- nearly 90% of the world’s remaining eastern lowland gorillas are found in the Kahuzi-Biega National Park
- about a quarter of the remaining mountain gorillas are found in Virunga National Park on the DRC’s eastern border
- the DRC has a great reputation for birding. Specials include the black-collared lovebird, blue-headed dove and handsome francolin.
- Security has always been a big concern in the DRC but the Virunga National Park gorilla trekking became viable from 2014 and we operate safaris in Virunga and from time to time in Kahuzi-Biega. Suited only for seasoned adventurers and safari veterans.
Most ecologically diverse region on the planet
It’s known world-wide for its links to the great apes and other important primates, as well as the classically “deep and dark” African jungles of legend and myth. Beautiful and protective of her secrets, the DRC still guards many mysteries by a mixture of physically challenging access and a discouraging political situation – it is thought that many, many species of flora and fauna are yet to be discovered in her borders.
The Virunga Safari, eastern DRC
Visit Virunga National Park in eastern DRC for mountain gorillas plus the Nyiragongo volcano hike…only safari veterans and serious adventurers need apply
Wherever in the world you are, our Zambezi community is full of easy-going travel-minded friends who take their fun seriously. Come and join the adventure.
More details and best safari spots in Eastern DRC
With some incredibly rare species, as well as plenty of endemic ones, the Democratic Republic of Congo is the naturalist's dream.
Kahuzi-Biega in eastern DRC is essentially two impressive extinct volcanoes designated as a national park primarily to preserve the habitat of the gorillas
Virunga National Park was Africa's first national park and classified a world heritage site in 1979; it protects several families of mountain gorillas