The Zambezi Safari and Travel Company

Home | Quick Tour | Scenic Route
African destinations | Safaris | Site Contents | Contact


FAQ's - Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

What is there to do at Victoria Falls?

Aside from the spectacle of seeing the largest curtain of falling water on earth you can participate in a wide variety of other activities. For example


Where can I stay at Victoria Falls?

You have a range from five star luxury to backpacker's-budget camping. Have a look at our page on Accommodation.


Where can I eat out?

There is a wide selection of restaurants and take away services in town. If you want to self cater, there is a well-stocked supermarket in the centre of town.


How can I get to Victoria Falls?

You can fly directly from several foreign destinations or connect from any of the main domestic centres (Kariba, Harare, Hwange, Bulawayo and Mutare). There is a rail service from Bulawayo to Victoria Falls. There is the Blue Arrow bus service from Harare. There is the Ferry link from Kariba to Milibizi and a transfer service connecting Milibizi with Victoria Falls. There is the self-drive option.  [Take a look at the options for Zimbabwe as a whole]

Airfares to Victoria Falls

White Water Rafting

When is it most exciting to do rafting?

When the river is running at its low levels from June to mid-February.


From which rapids do you actually start the rafting and at what rapid does it end?

The one-day low water run in Zambia is from rapid 1 - 18. The Zimbabwean trip is from 4 - 18. During the high water run, you launch at rapid 11 and the take out point is at rapid 23.


Do we paddle or have an oarsman?

This is decided at the prebriefing on the morning of departure. There's a fair amount of flexibility, typically the group can paddle in the morning and have the oarsman do the work in the afternoon.


What about safety on the river?

Each guide carries a comprehensive first aid kit and also holds a first aid certificate. MARS (Medical Air Rescue Services) are also on standby with a helicopter in the event of emergency and the trip leader has radio contact. Safety kayakers also accompany the trips.


What happens if the raft flips over?

You swim. You'll be wearing a life jacket. You should find yourself in calm water very quickly - it just feels like an eternity.


Will we be able to take our cameras?

No - you can buy the trip video or photographs on completion of the trip. There is also a viewing of the trip in the evening.


How old do you have to be to do rafting?

At least 15 years of age. There's no upper age limit but you do need to be reasonably fit. You may have to swim and there's a very steep climb out of the gorge on completion of the trip.


Can we book on arrival or do we have to book in advance?

During July, August and December you should book in advance, the rest of the year, "pitch and paddle".  All of the multi-day trips must be booked in advance.


What is the minimum stay in Victoria Falls to do White Water Rafting?

We recommend a minimum of two nights. Your briefing is at about 07:45 in the morning, you come off the river late in the afternoon.


How do we get back to our Hotel?

The operator will transfer you back to town - this is included in the price.


Are there any crocodiles in the River?

Yes - but they're small reptiles (unlike those found on canoe safaris on the lower Zambezi). Due to river conditions they are not a threat.


What will a trip cost?

Have a look at the rates schedule on our General Notes.


Bunji Jumping

How high is the Bunji jump?

About 8 seconds worth of dropping 111 metres.


How do you get back up?

You're hoisted into a sitting position then winched back up onto the bridge.


"I've had problems with my back before, can I still do bungi jumping?"

You won't be allowed to jump if you suffer from any of the following: high blood pressure, neurological disorders, acute or chronic knee of back disorders, heart disease, epilepsy or pregnancy.


What are the other limitations?

Age wise you must be older than 14 and if less than 18, you need an indemnity form signed by your parent or guardian. You must be heavier than 40kg, and less than 140kg. You must have a valid passport to go into the "no man's land" on the bridge.


How does the upper Zambezi Canoeing compare with that on the lower Zambezi?

The upper Zambezi has rapids and you'll use a "Crocodile Inflatable" or a "Klepper Kayak". On the lower Zambezi you have the opportunity of seeing big game - the wild side! The lower Zambezi canoe safaris are better.


Can I ride an elephant?

Yes - at Elephant Camp. You can do a half day visit or stay overnight at the camp.


Where can we stay in Victoria Falls?

Have a look at our suggestions on the accommodation page. New options are always appearing and old ones are often changing. Contact us.


Is the accommodation close to town? How far is it from the Victoria Falls?

Most accommodation is reasonably centralised in Victoria Falls. There are taxis, courtesy transfers, bicycles etc. for hire. The Falls are within walking distance of most places.


What is and where is the Boma?

The Boma is a restaurant serving excellent traditional meals. It's close to Lokuthula

Go to our safari modules for ideas on Victoria Falls...

UK Head Office
Ermington Mill, Ivybridge, Devon, PL21 9NT
Tel: +44 1548 830059 Fax: +44 870 094 1881
Mobile: +44 7900 582746

African Head Office
The Heights, Kariba, Zimbabwe
Tel: +263 61 3351  Fax: +263 61 2291
Cell: +263 91 343616 

Should we call you?  

� Copyright 1995-2007. "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co. Ltd" All rights reserved.