safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Mark’s Big Five
Mark celebrates his tenth anniversary at Zambezi Safaris this year. Whilst the list of places he’s visited on safari are as long as his arm he’s whittled down his big five trips for 2018 to include:
- Zimbabwe – offering some of the most rewarding and best value safari trips in Southern Africa right now
- Namibia – the best destination in Africa for a self-drive option, it’s safe and stunning
- Zambia – incredible walking safaris with excellent guiding and some beautiful national parks
- Botswana – great for first-timers, may cost a big price but will deliver one of Africa’s best travel experiences, guaranteed
- Tanzania – now’s the best time to visit to see the legendary wildebeest migration
(A pack of wild dogs cross the Luangwa River, Zambia.)
If you haven’t travelled with us before he’s a recap of why you should.
Why book with Zambezi Safari & Travel?
We’re an original African safari company.
The company started off in the Zambezi Valley in the early ‘90’s. We moved our Head Office to the UK in 2000. Today half of our team’s in the UK, the rest in Africa.
We’re 100% specialist safari operators. You can expect unrivalled customer service. Also honest, unbeatable pricing.
We truly understand 5 things about planning safaris:
- It’s about understanding, then balancing interests and expectations, including budget
- Getting the timing right is crucial
- As is the destination
- And “going beyond the obvious”
- People make the difference
(Team Zambezi in London)
Best top tips to getting it right
- Take a look at this note on “breaking away from the herds“. It applies in East, southern and Central Africa.
- Read our safari primer - “going beyond the obvious” - for first-timers and seasoned travellers alike. Geography, seasons, people and some general tips.
- Check out our “secret seasons” - when to find best game conditions, few tourists and best rates.
- Always think about East and Southern Africa as distinct destinations. Don’t combine in one trip. East Africa is about the migration and mountain gorillas. Volume and rarity. Southern Africa is about big game and variety. Diversity and rarity. (West central Africa is a completely different kettle of fish.)
- Johannesburg in South Africa is the main hub. Cape Town is the better connection by far. Victoria Falls is southern Africa’s “safari hub”. It’s easy in and out. The place if you’re looking for an extraordinary safari experience away from the crowds. Start your research here.
- Nairobi is your main hub in East Africa. Arusha is the northern safari hub. Read The Serengeti and how to get it right.
- Don’t leave home without casting an eye over our article on “honest African dirt” - or why we shouldn’t let luxury get in the way of some top experiences.