safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Gorilla treks and primate safaris
Gorilla treks, chimp and primate safaris offer an intimate window into a world of magic and new discovery in Africa’s last refuges
Tracking Africa’s mountain gorillas is the ultimate wildlife experience for many visitors to Africa. When you reach them, you’ll have just one hour in their company, it’ll be a magical hour that you’ll never forget.
- We find about 880 mountain gorillas in the Virunga Mountains and Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Rwanda and Uganda offer prime mountain gorilla trekking safaris.
- There’s a small population of mountain gorillas plus Eastern lowland gorillas in the eastern parts of Democratic Republic of Congo. (Commonly referred to as DRC, formerly Zaire.) Only safari veterans and serious adventurers need apply!
- Western lowland gorillas are abundant in Odzala National Park in the Republic of the Congo. (Commonly referred to as Congo-Brazzaville.) Congo is especially good for seasoned travellers. Central African Republic and Gabon offer limited scope for gorilla trekking.
General notes on African primate safaris
Gorillas, chimps, monkeys and lemurs are the main attractions on primate safaris. Whether you’re a first timer or interested in very specific species, start with broad research on species, then narrow down to a specific destination.
- For gorillas trekking, habituated groups are best. Think Uganda then Rwanda then Congo. (Rwanda is best bet for luxury.)
- Wild gorilla trekking can be arduous. You’re probably not just targeting gorillas. You’ll also find lots of other rewards in remote forests. Think Congo, CAR, eastern DRC and Gabon. (Luxury isn’t important.)
- For habituated chimp treks, think Mahale in Tanzania. Or Kibale in Uganda.
- We find other wild populations of chimps, colobus and monkeys in many of the central and East African forests. In Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Congo. Also DRC, CAR, Cameroon and Gabon.
- We find specials like bonobo and mandrill only in very specific haunts. That’s in DRC, Cameroon/Gabon respectively.
- Lemurs are easy. Madagascar is the place to go.
Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi
Here's the quickest and simplest way to trek for mountain gorillas in Uganda - it's our 4 day mountain gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
Odzala – Congo
Best described as an active discovery within very remote rainforests of the Congo Basin. Suitable for seasoned African travellers only.
The Virunga Safari, eastern DRC
Visit Virunga National Park in eastern DRC for mountain gorillas plus the Nyiragongo volcano hike...only safari veterans and serious adventurers need apply
Expeditionary and off-beat in Dzanga-Ndoki National Park. Suitable for adventurers, photographers, birders, specialists and seasoned travellers only.
Classic Uganda Safari
The complete Uganda safari with gorillas, chimps, big game and birdlife to boot - easily customisable to include East Africa's migration
Easy Gorillas in Rwanda
The Rwanda gorilla treks are usually regarded as the easiest - here's the smart way to trek for mountain gorillas from Kigali into Parc de National Virunga - includes tracking permit
Classic Rwanda Safari
Gorillas and so much more including chimpanzees and incredible bird life in the lush Nyungwe Forest, Lake Kivu and Parc des National Virunga
Wherever in the world you are, our Zambezi community is full of easy-going travel-minded friends who take their fun seriously. Come and join the adventure.