Sao Tome and Principe Islands
FROM PRICE: $ 4057
São Tomé and Príncipe Islands - 8 days/7 nights
This itinerary is priced for a set departure date (ask us for the dates) from Douala, Cameroon to São Tomé on a private charter return flights to keep the cost of getting to and from the islands down. Exclusive or independent trips are definitely available however the cost is higher due to the connecting flights to São Tomé and the return flight from Príncipé. For a week, you'll discover the secrets of these two little known islands or simply just relax on the pristine beaches.
Where is it?
São Tomé is a small tropical island in the Atlantic Ocean, close to the shores of Gabon and Cameroon. The tropical island of Príncipe is a virtually undiscovered paradise in the Atlantic Ocean close-by and also just one hour from Gabon or Central African Republic.
What is the best time of year to go?
You can visit São Tomé at any time of the year; it is hot and humid the whole year, but not as much in the dry season from May to September. Its probably best to be guided by good timings for visiting Gabon or the Central African Republic/Congo if you're adding a visit to the islands onto a safari on the mainland.
How to get there
On set departure dates throughout 2008 and 2009, a private charter carrying up to 20 passengers will depart from Douala in Cameroon to and from the islands.
Flights from Europe to Douala are easy to organise and take just 9hrs. Speak to your consultant if you'd like us to advise or book your international flights for you.
Tips and Notes
The mixture of African, European and South American people shows in São Tomé’s culture, dance, music, art and food. Visit the old city centre, the lively central market, the beautiful plantations (locally known as roças) to get a real feel of what São Tomé must have been like during the colonial era;
- Explore the volcanic coastline of São Tomé by boat and discover deserted and secluded beaches, waterfalls falling into the sea and amazing rock formations;
- Discover the biodiversity of this island! Take a guided tour through the virgin rainforest, or visit the local botanical gardens with more than 100 different orchids from São Tomé.
Principé island, which is 70% covered by primary forest, is best explored on foot, by all-terrain vehicle or boat;
- The underworld world of Príncipe is fascinating and diving is available, accompanied by a qualified dive master
- Kayaking, snorkelling and quad biking.
- Simply relax on one of the secluded beaches
- For bird lovers, a bird-watching expedition with a guide can be arranged.