safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Discover Sao Tome
Sao Tome… a little known island in the middle of the world! Breath taking scenery, waterfalls, black and white sand beaches, rainforests with extensive cocoa plantations.
- Sao Tome Island, Gabon
- 8 days/7 nights
Highlights of Sao Tome
- Africa’s garden of Eden, Sao Tome and Principe is a great birding destination with 143 species found on the islands.
- The island was discovered by the Portuguese in 1470, lies in the middle of the world just off the coast of West Africa and falls under mainland Gabon.
- Before colonisation the islands were made up of rainforests, dense with vegetation and wildlife. Sugar plantations, coffee and cocoa plantations replaced much of the forests but plenty of endemic flora and fauna species remain. This is a great hiking and beach destination.
Best time to go to Sao Tome
- March to May – blue skies and sunshine are the norm although this is a land of micro-climates
- June to September – he weather is generally cooler which is suitable for trekkers. There could be rain or cloudy skies at any time of year.
- December to March – best for diving
- May to mid October – fishing season for Atlantic Blue Marlin, yellow fin tuna and dorado
- Mid July to mid September – best for whale watching. The humpback whales can be spotted in the waters around Bom-Bom Islands Resort as they migrate from their waters where they feed to more tropical waters for mating
- September to March – the turtles are nesting. The islands of Sao Tome and Principe are home to some of the most diverse range of sea turtles. During these months four turtle species, including the leatherback come to the islands to lay their eggs on the beaches
- September to December – good fishing for sailfish and wahoo
- Birdwatching is good all year round.
Why not join marine biologists in their sea turtle research and see Leather, Loggerhead and Green turtles as they nest on the islands beaches.
(Bom Bom, Sao Tome dinner courtesy Paulo Andrade)
Arrive on Principe for your onward flight to Sao Tome. Check in to your hotel.
Chill out and enjoy the beauty of this unspoilt island with miles of beaches, unique endemic wildlife and breath taking scenery... an easy way of life - the great escape!
Pick up your flight back to Principe for your onward travel connections. Your Zambezi consultant can help you with your onward travel arrangements.
How to get there
Direct flights from Lisbon, Portugal, are the best way to access the islands. There are also scheduled flights from Libreville, Gabon which are less reliable.
Humpback whales – (Megaptera novaeangliae)
Sea turtles – regular visitors to the islands for millions of years
Fish – over 230 species have been found in the waters around the islands of Sao Tome and Principe including the large blue marlin and record size sailfish. wahoo, yellow fin tuna, snapper, barracuda and dorado.
The simple beach holiday during our winter safari season, great weather, quiet beaches and easy from South Africa at affordable prices
Become a beach bum for a week. 4 nights island hopping on a dhow in Mozambique followed by 3 nights chilling on Ibo Island.
Join marine biologists on Sao Tome and Principe for research and conservation of Leather, Loggerhead and Green turtles on the island’s beaches
The Katavi and Mahale safari is a 7 night trip offering outstanding resident game in the wild Katavi plus chimpanzees in the remote forests of Mahale