The Northern Historic Tour of Ethiopia
A 7 day fly-in tour of the main historical circuit of northern Ethiopia. Our privately guided trip showcases Ethiopia’s rich historical past. A whistle-stop itinerary to leave you totally immersed in the country’s culture.
Our historic tour of Ethiopia includes pre-booked overnight stops at:
- Addis Ababa
- Bahir Dar
- 7 days/6 nights
Highlights of our Historic tour of Ethiopia
Visit Addis Ababa’s National archaeological Museum. Coptic monasteries of Lake Tana. Gondar’s 17th century Imperial Castle Compound and the Queen of Sheba’s ruined palace to name but a few.
Addis’ fashionable hotels and elegant villas sit alongside the more traditional wattle and daub homes with their goats and chickens. The city’s lack of urban planning growth has resulted in an unstructured evolution. Whilst in the city you’ll visit the Markato, Africa’s largest market and the National archaeological Museum.
- Half-day Addis city tour to see National Archaeological Museum and the Merkato (Africa’s largest open-air market)
- visit the Blue Nile Falls
- explore Ethiopia’s largest water body, Lake Tana by boat. Visit monasteries of Ura Kidane Mihret and Azwa Mariam 17th C Gondar
- explore the Imperial Castle Compound, “Bath of Emperor Fasiladas”, Residence of Empress Mintwab and the famous wall and ceiling paintings of the church of Debre Birhan Sillassie
- Aksum‘s Archaeological museum
- Stele Park (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Church of St. Mary of Zion – believed to be the last resting place of the original Ark of the Covenant. The palace and tomb of King Kaleb and Gebre Meskel (6th Century AD)
- ruined palace of the Queen of Sheba (9th Century BC)
- visit Lalibela‘s 12th century AD rock hewn churches of King Lalibela
- mule trek to the hilltop church Asheton Mariam (13th century AD)
- visit Mt. Entoto (3,200m high)
- farewell dinner party with the best of the country’s cuisine at a traditional restaurant in Addis, folkloric Ethiopian dancing
When is the best time to go?
This is a year round itinerary with set departure dates every month, please contact us for specific dates.
- October to May are the driest months
- July to September are the coldest months
- January, March and April, September and November – Best time for festival goers.
You'll be met on arrival at Addis Ababa Airport for transfer to the centrally located 4* Jupiter International Hotel with broadband, spa, steam room and fitness centre.
Fly from Addis to Bahir Dar. Boat trip on Lake Tana. Visit Blue Nile Falls. Spend the night at the all-inclusive Kuriftu Resort and Spa at Bahir Dar on the shores of Lake Tana.
Drive to Gondar visit Imperial Castle Compound of Gondar, the ‘Bath of Emperor Fasiladas’, Quskuam Mariam, Residence of Empress Mintwab, church of Debre Birhan Sillassie.
Flight to Aksum for sightseeing tour of the city and accommodation at Yeha Hotel (see highlights below for list of sites visited here).
Flight to Lalibela, home of the 12th century AD churches of King Lalibela, stay at the Roha Hotel for 2 nights.
Mule ride to Asheton Maryam (13th century AD). Lunch then onto the second and the third group of the churches of Lalibela. second night at Roha Hotel, dinner bed and breakfast basis.
Fly back to Addis for city tour, visit to "Merkato" and farewell restaurant dinner
Tips and notes
This fully guided tour includes:
- Accommodation based on two sharing a twin room
- all meals out of Addis, and only breakfast in Addis
- all entrance fees
- mule hire
- boat trip at Lake Tana
- all on the ground transportation with fuel and insurance
- professional English speaking guide
- portage fees
- all local guides
- Government tax
- International flights
- domestic airfares US$420 pp subject to change
- lunch and dinner in Addis
- any alcoholic drinks
- personal expense like souvenirs, laundry, tips
- any expenses of a personal nature not mentioned on the itinerary
How to get there
Our Historic tour of Northern Ethiopia starts and finishes in Addis Ababa.
Please ask your Zambezi consultant if you would like us to arrange your international travel or if you would like to add on another destination to combine with this trip.
"Dear Trisia & Ang, I wanted to relate how wonderful our trip was to Ethiopia. It exceeding, my already high expectations having been to Africa 14 times previously!!!! Our guide"Jack S. read more >>
Addis Ababa, safari gateway to historical sites, obelisks of Axum, churches and Coptic monasteries in the Tigre, Lake Tana and LalibelaRead More
Bahir Dar and Lake Tana are on the historic route - famed for 20 monastic churches and the source of the Blue Nile. Just a one hour flight from Addis AbabaRead More
The 11 rock-hewn churches of Lalibela are a World Heritage Site often described as the 8th wonder of the world - venue for famous church festivals.Read More