safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
This Gabon safari combines history… visiting Lambarené colonial town and its World-famous Schweitzer Hospital, with nature… with Loango, Ogooue river, Fernan Vaz lagoon and the forest zone on the way to Crystal Mountains and anthropology…the unique Bwiti rituals practiced by Bantus Mitshogos and Babongo Pygmies in the forest.
- Bwiti rituals
- Loango National park
- Duration: 11 days / 10 nights
Highlights of the Gabon safari
- Bwiti tribal rituals in the forest – their culture is embedded in the surrounding ecosystem. They’re keepers of one of Africa’s best kept secrets, the Iboga bark. This bark has hallucinogenic properties and complex rituals are celebrated to honour its powers and to bring human beings to the spirit world.
- Bantu villages of Gabon’s forests – with Bantus Mitshogos and Babongo Pygmies
- Ogooué River – visit Evengué Island gorilla sanctuary Island’s orphan gorillas sanctuary. The trip lasts around 8h and it is just amazing. You’ll get a real feeling of how the first explorers felt navigating along the Africa tropical rivers
- Lambarené colonial town and Schweitzer Hospital – established in 1913 by German Doctor Albert Schweitzer. Its Medical Research Unit is one of the leading scientific institutions in Africa working to end the scourge of malaria. It’s also a highly-regarded training site for African physicians and scientists
- Loango National Park and fauna on the beach – the eco-system at Loango is one of the richest and most complex in Central Africa. Discover mangroves, beaches with coconut trees, river forest, Congolese forest and inland forest with huge trees, and even tropical meadows… A true mosaic of landscapes with breathtaking vegetation and wildlife
- we’ll follow the Park guides to explore the areas they consider best at the point of our trip. Spot forest elephant, red forest buffalo, red river hogs with furry ears, hippos, etc. Inside the park’s lagoons it is possible to see the slender snouted crocodiles, sitatunga, duikers, a variety of monkeys, a huge array of birds, western lowland gorillas and chimpanzees. With a pirogue in the Akaka river we will travel to the heart of Loango, deep inside the forest.
- mid-July to mid-September, humpback whales can be spotted in the Atlantic waters in front of Loango national Park.
Best time to visit Gabon…
Set departure dates – more on our small group tours and safaris
- 19th – 27th August 2017
- 8th – 18th December 2017
Arrival in Libreville where you'll be met at the airport by your guide.Transfer to the hotel.
Breakfast, city tour of Gabon's capital and markets and historic buildings. Drive to the Gabonese forested interior to a village of Bantus Mitshogos and Babongo Pygmies and the Bwiti.
Breakfast. Visit colonial town of Lambarené, river island town famous for its many natural lakes, endemic bird/fish species, Albert Schweitzer Hospital and Museum-Leading scientific Inst.
Breakfast, boat excursion around the tropical lakes-birder's paradise. motor boat to Omboué town along the Ogooué River to Evengue Island orphan gorillas sanctuary. On to the beach area-Loango NP
Breakfast. Explore the Park by pirogue and foot. Mangroves, beaches with coconut trees (loved by elephants), river forest, Congolese forest and inland forest with huge trees, tropical meadow
Wildlife is incredible...spot big mammals: forest elephant, red forest buffalo, red river hogs, hippos. Inside the park’s lagoons observe slender snouted crocodiles, sitatunga, duikers and monkeys
With a pirogue in the Akaka river we will travel to the heart of Loango, deep inside the forest. Humpback whales can be spotted in the Atlantic waters in front of Loango national Park. July-September
After breakfast explore the wild beaches of the area. Lunch and departure to Omboue, stay at Hotel Olako or the local Guesthouse, situated in front of the Fernan Vaz lagoon. Evening flight home.
How to get there
Fly to Libreville to Discover Gabon. Please ask your Zambezi consultant if you would like us to arrange your flights.
Best described as an active discovery within very remote rainforests of the Congo Basin. Suitable for seasoned African travellers only.
Ivindo National Park introduced to the outside world when Mike Fay transversed Ivindo during his famous megatransect expedition in 2000.Read More
Lambarene, Lake Evaro offers a great day trip through the lakes of Ezanga, Evaro and Onague. Albert Schweitzer's hospital on the shores of Lake EvaroRead More
Libreville interesting culturally, thriving market, St Maries Cathedral, carved church-St Michael, Arboretum de Sibang, palace housing the president.Read More
Loango National Park is situated between the Nkomi and Ndogo Lagoons, made famous by Mike Fay and Nick Nicols from National GeographicRead More
Lope National Park was the first protected area in the country following the creation of the Lope-Okanda Wildlife Reserve in 1946Read More
A guide to Principe vacations and safaris on this isolated volcanic island off the west coast of Africa - known for its photo, birding and beach safaris.Read More
A complete guide to vacations to Sao Tome, a paradise for birders, fishermen and holiday makers in search of remote peace, quiet and charm.Read More