safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Highlights of the Hwange Explorer
Birding in and around Victoria Falls is excellent. Here you have access to rain forest, riverine, savannah and gorge habitats. This relatively small area of the Zambezi National Park and Mosi-oa-Tunya is easily accessible both by boat and on foot. Look out for Rock Pratincole, Schalow’s Turaco, African Finfoot, Half Collared Kingfisher and Thick Billed Weaver.
Try some extreme activities in Africa’s “adventure capital” or simply relax, walk in the rain forests which overlook the falls, take a spa or enjoy afternoon tea – choice is yours!
- We’ll stay 3 nights at the delightful Ilala Lodge Hotel in Victoria Falls with *complimentary 3 course a la carte dinner per person. This is the closest hotel to Victoria Falls and the town centre
- Sunset cruise on the *Ra-Ikane with premium brand drinks, executive snacks, transfers and river usage fees per/person
- Guided tour of the Falls
- Boma dinner extravaganza
- Travel on to Zimbabwe’s biggest and best known wildlife park Hwange National Park famous for its Presidential herd of elephant
- Spend 3 nghts at the unique Camp Hwange on full board basis. (Some say that to stay at Camp Hwange is more than a great safari, it is an experience of life!)
- Hwange is a private concession with excellent game viewing on day and night game drives and walks with some of the best guides in Africa
- Game drives and guided walks to experience the park and its wildlife – giraffe, lion, zebra and approximately 40 000 elephant. The park is also home to Zimbabwe’s endangered wild dog population (one of the largest groups in Africa)
- Bird counts in Zimbabwe topping 694
Best time for Hwange Explorer
- June to September – winter months can be rather chilly at night but clear, sunny and warm during the day
- November to March – summer months. Hot and sunny with short, heavy rain storms in the afternoons. This is the best time for birding when the intra-African and Palaearctic migrants are around and resident species in full breeding plumage.
(Sidebar image – Carmine bee eater on the Zambezi – Courtesy Brendon Cremer)
You're met on arrival and transferred to Ilala Lodge in the heart of Vic Falls. Check in to your deluxe room bed/breakfast. Enjoy a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River aboard the quaint Ra-Ikane.
Breakfast followed by a guided tour of the magnificent Victoria Falls. Tonight enjoy a dinner at the Boma, an extravaganza with a range of western and African foods, dancing, drumming and fun!
Road transfer to our small owner run Camp Hwange in a remote region of Hwange National Park. Meet your hosts and guide and get out on your first thrilling afternoon game drive.
Zimbabwe’s biggest reserve is home to a profusion of wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and approximately 40 000 elephants. You'll have a safari of a lifetime with our professional safari guide.
A final game drive back to the main road and then on to Victoria Falls Airport where you'll connect to your ongoing travel arrangements.
How to get there
By air from Johannesburg, Lusaka or Harare to Victoria Falls.
Please ask your Zambezi consultant if you would like to book your flights.
Zimbabwe has an impressive road infrastructure by African standards particularly between the major centres.
Car hire is available but expensive. Many regional clients successfully self-drive into Victoria Falls via Zimbabwe, Zambia or Botswana.
The rail network is not extensive, serving Bulawayo and Victoria Falls best. The rail safaris between the two towns are very successful.
Hwange National Park is on the north eastern border with Botswana and part of the same eco-system as Chobe National Park, well-known for extraordinarily large herds of elephants. The park is home to over 100 mammal speeices, including lion, leopard and rhino.
"Zimbabwe – August Hi Trish – just to say the Zim trip was superb! Chilo Gorge is up there with the best lodges I’ve stayed in and staff were top"Richard W read more >>
"Dear Ang, The trip went well, very well. Every thing was great, more, to be honest, the trip has gone better than I expected. If you want I can describe"read more >>
"Victoria Falls in September: It was an experience of a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the entire staff being superb. Everyone was so accommodating. Being greeted by Denzel, who"Patricia N read more >>
Wildlife and waterfalls – from Victoria Falls World Heritage Site to game drives and river cruising in the Chobe National Park. This week long safari has it all.
A walking safari between two remote and seasonal camps in the Luangwa’s Chikoko area along elephant and hippo trails
A 7-night exploration of Mana Pools – a canoeing and walking safari with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps.
A typical 8 day safari which combines remote spots in both North and South Luangwa – suitable for families and small groups.
Hwange National Park adjoins the Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More