safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Exploring with the Bushmen
The best way to learn about a place is to get a ‘local’ to show you round. And, the Kalahari is no exception! This is a rare opportunity to learn from the masters. Join our Bushman Kalahari safari and explore with the guides of the Naru-speaking tribe.
- Kalahari Desert – Hainaveld and Ghanzi Farms
- 4 days/3 nights
Highlights of the Kalahari safari
Apart from having the privilege of meeting one of Africa’s oldest cultures, you’ll go on walks and game drives too. Together we’ll learn the survival and hunting skills which have been passed down through generations. And, discover how the San people have adapted their lives in order to survive one of the most harsh environments in the world.
- Day and night game drives with tracker and guide. The night safaris showcase a world of nocturnal species while the extensive network of tracks within the reserve are great for game drives. The Kalahari sand is perfect for tracking wildlife
- …we’re also on the look out for the Kalahari lion, cheetah, giraffe, leopard and kudu. (The somewhat elusive brown hyena has also been spotted in the vicinity)
- Deception Valley is great for bird lovers. It’s a birding paradise during Botswana’s green season from November to March.
- We also do bush walks with San Bushman hunters
- 3 nights all inclusive accommodation at the luxurious Deception Valley Lodge. An oasis in the Kalahari of Botswana, close to the Okavango Delta
- swimming pool
- sleep outs under the stars
Best time to join Bushman Kalahari safari
- A year round destination. You’ll find wildlife throughout the year but it’s best in the wet season.
- April to October – dry and cooler
- November to March – very hot, wet and green. Wetter months but best for wildlife. The animals tend to gather around Deception Valley. It’s also the best time for birding with raptors and migrants.
Staying at Deception Valley Lodge, an oasis in the Kalahari for your Bushman experience. Your base for 3 nights on all inclusive basis.
This is Botswana's top Kalahari destination. Walk with the San Bushmen in their hunt for fruit, berries, herbs, flowers and tubers to use in their cooking and medicines. Discover the wildlife too.
Deception Valley Lodge has it's own airstrip a short 15-minute drive from the lodge, from here it's just 25 minutes by air to Maun.
Tips and notes
Recommended reading… Explorer Laurens van der Post, appalled at the fate of the Bushmen of the Kalahari, wrote a classic which describes how they were ostracized by the changing face of cultural life in Africa. So much so that they retreated into the heart of the Kalahari desert.
Laurens van de Post captures the secrets and lifestyle of this ancient heritage – it’s an insight into a forgotten way of life.
How to get there
Easily accessible from Maun Airport [MUB]
Deception Valley Lodge is has it’s own airstrip a short 15-minute drive from the lodge, from here it’s just 25 minutes by air to Maun.
FREE NIGHT FOR 2017/2018
from US$790 per person Green season (Dec-end March)
US$1020 per person Shoulder season (April – end Jun & November)
US$1905 per person Peak season (July-end Oct – free night offer does not apply)
No single supplement in green or shoulder seasons
Walk on the wild side with our 3 night camel back safari in Kenya’s Laikipia wilderness… excellent wildlife, perfect for families!
Combine creature comforts in Victoria Falls with an active safari in Hwange’s wild reaches with one of Zimbabwe’s top guiding teams over a week
A 7-night exploration of Mana Pools – a canoeing and walking safari with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps.
Visit Chobe National Park on an unbeatable and affordable safari tour from Victoria Falls
Chobe National Park has Africa's highest concentration of elephant herds and is known for its buffalo and lions on safariRead More