Climbing Kilimanjaro via Lemosho
A 9 day climb following the Lemosho route – widely considered the best route on Mount Kilimanjaro. It’s favoured for its beauty, remoteness and success rate. In short it maximizes the chances that you’ll reach the summit and enjoy the overall experience!
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- Lemosho Route, fully guided
- 9 days/8 nights
Highlights of climbing Kilimanjaro
Mount Kilimanjaro and the associated Kilimanjaro National Park are located in the northern regions of Tanzania, straddling the border with nearby Kenya. At 5,896m (19,336 feet), Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa.
Very few mountains can claim the grandeur of Mt Kili; the breathtaking views of Amboseli National Park in Kenya, the Rift Valley, and the Masai Steppe. And unlike many of the world’s other high peaks no climbing is required and even first-time enthusiasts can hike to the top of Africa.
You’ll spend your first night on B&B basis at the Keys Hotel which has views of Mount Kilimanjaro. A climbers’ favourite with restaurant for buffet breakfast and an la Carte menu. Your various camps during your climb will be on full board basis.
This trip includes all park fees.
Best time of year to climb Kilimanjaro
- Year round – the higher slopes of the mountain are always cold. The town of Moshi is low lying and hot by day, cool by night although it can be quite humid.
- March to May – much more difficult during rainy season specifically
Check out our alternative routes to climb Mount Kilimanjaro here
You'll be met on arrival at Kilimanjaro Int. Airport for transfer to your hotel in Arusha for your first night.
After breakfast you're driven to the entrance to the Lemosho Gate approx. 2 hours. After registration you start the trek through the forest at the foot of the mountain to Mti Mbukwa Camp - 3-4 hours
After breakfast, continue through the forest on to the Shira Plateau to reach Shira campsite at 3505m - your camp for the night. Walking duration 5-6hrs, 8km
After breakfast a slow walk to the Moir Hut through Shira 2; overnight at the Moir Hut. Walking duration 5 -7 hrs, 14km.
After breakfast, continue ascending heading eastwards, through the dry landscape to Barranco Camp for overnight, your base for the night. Walking duration 4-5hrs, 5km
Breakfast first then you're off to scale the Great Barranco Wall! A well made trail with amazing waterfalls to view enroute. Descend into the Karanga Valley to Karanga Camp. Walking duration 4-5 hrs
After breakfast, climb through glaciers for approximately 4 to 5 hours (picnic lunch enroute) arrive at the Barafu Hut for dinner and overnight camp. Walking duration 4-5hrs, 4km.
An early wakeup call (around 01.00hrs) for prep & breakfast, final ascent to the summit, Stella Point (5/6 hours) further climb to Uhuru Peak (45 mins). Sign and rest at Barafu Hut and descend.
Descend from Mweka Hut to the park gate from where you are transferred back to your hotel for a well deserved shower. Walking duration 3-4hrs, 10kms
Tips and notes
- Transfers to and from Hotel to park gate return, and airports (JRO/ARK)
- Professional, experienced and friendly Mountain guides (1 to 2 clients) and crew
- All relevant Kilimanjaro trek entry fees, camping and rescue fees
- Emergency Medical Evacuation by AMREF flying doctors
- Accommodation and meals as described on this itinerary
- Camping gear (Mess tent, guest tent, camping tables and chairs)
- Drinking water filter for purifying water whilst on the mountain
- First aid kit
- Pulse-oximeter and supplementary oxygen
- Sleeping air mattresses
- International flights
- Personal Insurance
- Gratuities and tips
- Personal items of nature (alcoholic drinks, beverages etc)
- Hospital bills in the event of emergency
- Portable toilet 1-6 people: 100USD per group
- Portable altitude chamber (Gamow bag pressure): 200USD
- Extra night added in the mountain: 220USD per person
Add a relaxing 7 day Zanzibar beach break after you’ve completed this incredible challenge. Altitude sickness may affect some from around the 3rd day onwards. We’ll provide a full training programme on booking your climb.
How to get there
From Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)
Mount Kilimanjaro - Tanzania Africa's most popular climbRead More