safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Legendary Lower Zambezi, Zambia
Breathtaking scenery and incredible wildlife… what more could you ask for. On the edge of the lower Zambezi National Park – directly opposite the Mana Pools World Heritage Site.
- Lower Zambezi, Zambia
- 3 nights /4 days
Highlights of Chongwe
The Chongwe River Camp sits at the confluence of the Chongwe and Zambezi Rivers. A real home from home camp with 9 exceptional ensuite tents straddling the Chongwe River.
As you can imagine, the views are stunning and game viewing is good on both day and night drives.
Walking safaris, canoeing and boat trips add another dimension and really provides the opportunity to view wildlife from a different perspective.
- Day and night drives, boats cruises, walking safaris
- canoeing – grab a paddle and hop on board, it’s unlike any other canoeing as you get close to wildlife both on the river banks and in the water. Look out for large elephant herds which often occupy the the river edge. Also the ‘Island hopping’ waterbuck and buffalo an be seen
- good sightings of predators such as lion and leopard
- fishing – this is one of the best places along the Zambezi to hook a tiger fish or two
- community visits can be arranged
- biodiversity rich area with eco-systems within the park from montane thickets, miombo woodlands, riparian forests and grassy woodlands
- outstanding birdlife – great for ornithologists
- communal outdoor dining is a really feature of Chongwe with its dramatic backdrop and river views. All meals are prepared by the team of Chefs using locally sourced, fresh ingredients.
Best time to go
- January to June – low Season
- July to October – high season, the weather is dry and there’s little or no rainfall
- October to February – It’s hot and humid at this time of year just after the rains
- November to April – excellent time for birding
Zambezi tip… add this trip to the Luangwa Explorer
Game drive transfer from Royal airstrip to Chongwe River Camp - home for 4 nights all inclusive. Includes parks fees.
Unique and easygoing, Chongwe is a real home away from home, where you can unwind and escape. Daily activities include day/night game drives, boat trips, canoeing, walking, fishing
Time to pack up and bid farewell to Chongwe for your onward travel. This is a great little trip to add on to another safari destination-ask your Zambezi Africa specialist for more details.
Tips and notes
With direct flights to Mfuwe airstrip it’s easy to use this trip as an add on to the Luangwa Explorer
How to get there
The safari starts and ends at RYL – Lower Zambezi National Park [Royal Airstrip] Lusaka, Zambia.
A 7-night exploration of Mana Pools – a canoeing and walking safari with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps.
We’ve run canoe safaris since 1995. From Kariba, past Mana Pools, Sapi, Chewore and Mupata Gorge to Kanyemba. 230km of untamed adventure!
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
Combine creature comforts in Victoria Falls with an active safari in Hwange’s wild reaches with one of Zimbabwe’s top guiding teams over a week
The Lower Zambezi National Park includes a handful of excellent camps and safari lodges along the lower stretch of the Zambezi RiverRead More