Mana Pools Explorer Safari
The 7-night Mana Pools explorer safari – a canoeing and walking combination with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps… one of Africa’s top safari spots!
- Mana Pools, Zimbabwe
- 8 days/7 nights
Highlights of the Mana Pools Explorer
The safari starts in a lodge overlooking beautiful Lake Kariba. The perfect spot for an early start to your canoeing adventure on the Lower Zambezi. Canoeing the beautiful Mana Pools National Park and along the Zambezi’s shoreline finishing 75km (46 miles) downstream
- one of the most exciting ways to safari in Africa, for guests with a sense of adventure
- abundant up close wildlife viewing and spectacular birding
- an experienced, knowledgeable and passionate guide travels with you throughout
- strong and stable Canadian canoes enhance experience and comfort
- a wonderful sense of being close to nature in the heart of Africa
- one of the best walking areas in Southern Africa
- awe-inspiring ‘on foot’ interactions with elephant
- nights are spent camping on the banks of the Zambezi River
This is a semi-participatory trip which means that everyone mucks in to help set up camp each night.
Best time to do the Mana Pools Explorer
- Mana Pools Explorer safari runs from May to October
- September and October – best for concentrations of game. Bear in mind that it’s very hot before the rains which usually arrive in November.
Mana Pools Explorer trip will start with an overnight stay in Hornbill Lodge. Safety briefings for preparation of the canoes on the river and procedures for camping.
7.30 pick up from your hotel, check in at canoe HQ in Kariba. Extra extra luggage and valuables can be left be safely left here. Transfer to Chirundu for your canoe adventure. Camp on Kakomarara Is.
Up at sunrise for tea/biscuits. 2 hours paddling until breakfast stop. Canoe until noon, lunch and siesta. Canoe until 5, set up camp on Lone Acacia Island.
The day takes follows the same pattern as day 3. Regular stops for drinks/paddle breaks. Stopping on Trichelia Island for the night.
Met by transfer vehicle, drive to Camp Zambezi, your base for 3 nights. Relax and enjoy the game watching, good for birding and botany too.
Transferred to the Mana Pools main airstrip after breakfast for your flight to Kariba Airport. From here, you will connect to your ongoing flights.
Tips and notes
There is no single supplement.
Prices are based on a single traveller and include full board accommodation, park fees, soft drinks, beer, house wine, laundry, all safari activities, all transfers back to Kariba
Prices exclude visas fees, gratuities, items of a personal nature, insurance.
The price includes:
- A reasonable amount of soft drinks, beer, fruit juice and mineral water on camping days
- All inclusive at Camp Zambezi, excluding premium brand drinks
- Delicious meals while on safari are all included from lunch on Day 1.
- Usually 2 course meals are provided in the evenings.
- All activities while on the safari departure
- All accommodation on a sharing basis
- Visas, compulsory insurances and all relevant government taxes not mentioned above
- All relevant entry and departure government stipulated fees/ taxes and unexpected increases
- All personal purchases, including curios, telephone calls etc.
- Beers and sodas on the Tamarind Canoe Safari
- Optional extra activities/ services, laundry, telephone calls and items of a personal nature
- International flights
Accommodation: 3 x 3m (9.84 ft x 9.84ft) dome tents, designed for basic comfort in remote wilderness areas. At Camp Zambezi Cotton linen and stretcher beds (with duvets) with a lantern complement the atmosphere in this pristine and wild area. Separate short-drop toilet and shower ‘bathrooms’ with old-style bucket showers create simple serviced comfort.
This camping safari offers a unique adventure – perfect if you’re looking for an iconic African safari, an opportunity to enjoy one of the wildest stretches of the lower Zambezi River. There’s plenty of wildlife activity too with the game that relies on the river for their existence.
The entire safari is guided and hosted by a professional and passionate river guide, who shares in-depth knowledge of the lower Zambezi ecosystem with you, to present a seamless, well rounded experience.
You’ll need a reasonable level of fitness
Each campsite within the Mana Pools National Park is reserved for the exclusive use of our guests and while on the river or on foot on its banks we enjoy the wild expanse mostly to ourselves.
How to get there
This safari starts and ends in Kariba. International inbound and outbound flights are excluded. (Our team can advise or take care of these arrangements on request.)
"Zimbabwe – September We had a fabulous time in Zimbabwe. Ruckomechi has a great position on the river although not being actually in Mana Pools The variety on offer at"Barbara C read more >>
"Mana Pools – May It was a fantastic experience and exceeded all our expectations. Our guide Bono Lunga was superb and he and his team made the safari very special. "Charles F read more >>
"Fantastic trip to Zimbabwe – by Amy and Oliver We had a fantastic trip to Zimbabwe and would very much like to thank you and your colleagues for your assistance"Amy and Oliver read more >>
"Zimbabwe-October We all had a wonderful time and thank you so much for your expert organization – everything worked like clock work and we were all impressed by Zimbabwe. Can’t"Nigel P read more >>
"Kariba Canoe Safari Zimbabwe Hwange Cape Town in February We had and absolute fabulous time… So glad you were there to help us with the up’s and down’s Thanks again"Rebecca F read more >>
"Look no further! Our experience with the Zambezi Safari and Travel Company was faultless: We were particularly impressed with their detailed knowledge of the country and their attention to detail"Debbie B read more >>
"Zimbabwe-June: Hello Liz, We had a wonderful and memorable trip to Zimbabwe. Your arrangements were impeccable and everything went off like clockwork. As you know this is our 2nd trip"Venkat R read more >>
"Zimbabwe – September We have been pining away for Zimbabwe since we arrived back in the United States. First and foremost, I want to thank you for suggesting and putting"Joe M read more >>
"Victoria Falls in December: We returned last week from a trip that left us with many stunning experiences and impressions. When it comes to the lion encounter and elephant safari,"Britta.M read more >>
Lush and green… the sheer excitement of the arrival of life-giving water is infectious!
A rare and extraordinary Canoe trail adventure
The Tamarind canoe safari is one of our most popular lower Zambezi canoe safaris over 4 days from Chirundu down to Mana Pools World Heritage Site.
Mana Pools National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve is best known for Zambezi canoeing and walking safarisRead More