safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
The Odzala Kokoua discovery in Congo
This Odzala Kokoua trip is not a standard African safari. But is best described as an active discovery within very remote rainforests of the Congo Basin. Suitable for seasoned African travellers for whom strict preparations and low expectations are the norm.
Keen naturalists and photographers will reap rich rewards with this very rare experience.
- Odzala Kokoua National Park
- 8 days/7 nights
Highlights of the Odzala Kokoua discovery
The Odzala-Kokoua Discovery is a set date departure which starts and finishes in Brazzaville on Thursdays only. Any deviations from this schedule will increase costs substantially. Brazzaville is a safe African city and we recommend spending a couple of nights here, before or after your trip.
- spend 3 nights at Ngaga Camp for gorilla trekking and discovering other deep forest species
- 2 nights at Mboko, which is used as a base for active explorations of savanna mosaic and riverine forest
- 2 nights at Lango Camp for easy access to a saline bai, swamps and forests
- journey deep in the rainforest of Republic of Congo and find one of the last refuges of the western lowland gorilla
- and it’s worth mentioning that our track record on gorilla sightings is 100%.
- this is also a rare chance to explore this remote, thriving and largely unspoiled ecosystem
- where you’ll get to meet people from traditional forest communities.
- …also walk along dappled paths through the forest and wade through clear forest streams…
- … and watch for wildlife coming down to drink at a forest bai. (Which are marshy clearings rich in minerals, a magnet for animals and birds.)
- … so be adventurous and you’ll be one of the very few to experience such a unique, remote and undeveloped rainforest wilderness and discover a rich mosaic of habitats and incredible biodiversity.
Best time to visit Odzala National Park
The temperature is fairly even throughout the year with and average of 30C.
- December to February - which is driest time in the north
- April to October - driest time in the south
Special preparations for a safari in Odzala
We will provide comprehensive fact files and checklists for this trip but please note:
- documentation and medical certification has to be correct.
- you will need to be well prepared for remote destinations
- and require a minimum of 7 weeks between “letters of invitation” application and actual travel date.
Finally… we don’t recommend this trip for first-timers to Africa. (Read this article if you’re planning your first African safari)
(Photo credits courtesy Tim Henshall)
Airport assistance at Maya Maya. Odzala Charter Flight to Mboko. Road transfer to Ngaga Camp
Gorilla trek in the morning. Lunch at Ngaga camp. Afternoon relax followed by a forest walk for bird watching and discovery of forest life and river sundowners. Overnight Ngaga Camp
Gorilla trek in the morning. Lunch at Ngaga camp. Afternoon time with the gorilla research team, forest walk and a night walk to view nocturnal forest life. Overnight Ngaga Camp
Relaxed morning in camp (optional 3rd gorilla trek at additional cost) Road transfer through Mbomo village. Mboko Camp for lunch followed by late afternoon river cruise and sundowners Overnight Mboko
River cruise on the Lekoli River or adventure walk in the Likeni River. Lunch at Mboko Camp. River cruise, kayak or adventure walk. Overnight Mboko Camp
Guided morning kayak on the Lekoli River followed by walk upstream to the Lango bai Lunch at Lango Camp Afternoon relax followed by forest walk or time to take a dip in the Lango bai Overnight Lango
Guided morning walk to bird hide to watch the African grey parrots in the bai or Guided adventure walk Lunch at Lango Camp Afternoon relax followed by forest and bai walk Overnight Lango
Early breakfast at Lango Camp Game drive transfer followed by raised wooden path walk through swamp to Mboko Camp Odzala Charter Flight Trip ends Connect with onward flight or stay in Brazzaville
How to get there
The Odzala-Kokoua Discovery is a set date departure starting and ending in Brazzaville on Thursdays only. Deviations from this schedule will increase costs substantially.
Maya Maya Airport (BZV) is easily accessed by numerous airlines, notably Air France via Paris, Inter Air via Johannesburg and Kenya Airways via Nairobi. Congo is easily accessible from Europe and easily combined with Southern or East African safaris.
The cost of all international flights is excluded from the price.
Wildlife residents including western lowland gorilla, guereza colobus, bongo, moustached monkey, elephant, buffalo, sitatunga. Excellent for birding and chimpanzees.
Odzala is a colourful paradise with over 100 different mammal species… western lowland gorillas, chimpanzees and red-tailed monkeys. Forest buffalo, sitatunga and species of duiker and herds of forest elephant. Look up and you’ll discover a few of the 400 bird species that have made this incredible spot their home.
"Congo September::The 6 night trip to the Congo was a great experience. 2 camps - Ngaga and Lango. Ngaga Camp is well into the jungle, so 2 hours by plane"Mike G read more >>
"They are a very knowledgeable company and they use only the best ground handling agents in Africa. When timings or flights change, as they often do in Africa, Zambezi have always been on top"Debbie DeG read more >>
"Odzala, Congo - January Dear Trish and John and all at Zambezi, Thank you so much for arranging the wonderful trip to Odzala! And for organising all the ground arrangements"Sarah W read more >>
Expeditionary and off-beat in Dzanga-Ndoki National Park. Suitable for adventurers, photographers, birders, specialists and seasoned travellers only.
An epic 9 day exploration in Chad … where lions roam open plains in search of vast buffalo herds, and pans where cranes and red-billed quelea flock in their thousands…
Here’s the quickest and simplest way to trek for mountain gorillas in Uganda - it’s our 4 day mountain gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
“Africa’s Eden” became very difficult as a proper safari destination a few years ago…best for intrepid travellers…done on a few set date trips each year.
Odzala-Kokoua National Park in the Congo Basin has Africa’s highest density of Western Lowland Gorillas and central Africa’s highest density of Chimpanzees.Read More