Roam Laikipia like a Nomad
Laikipia is an ancient land inhabited by wildlife and its people. It’s undisturbed and lives by the rhythm of nature. Ol Malo sits within this untamed and landscape – the place of the Greater Kudu.
This is a family ranch and game sanctuary in Kenya’s wild Northern Laikipia Province, the heartland of the Samburu tribe. Privately-owned by the Francombe family, it sits on the northern edge of the Laikipia plateau.
- Ol Malo
- 7 days/6 nights
Highlights of Ol Malo
Ol Malo offers the perfect mix of home comfort and luxury with a gentle balance of feeling at one with nature. Experience Africa by foot or on horse or camelback. Situated in the deserts of Samburuland, a former overgrazed cattle ranch, this 5,000-acre ranch undergone a transformation. Consequently it’s a successful conservation site today.
- Sleep under the stars – get closer to Africa’s ‘night life’, spend a romantic night in the tree house under the stars
- Helicopter – property owned Raven R44 helicopter, take to the skies and hover over Kenya’s secret spots
- Horse riding – saddle up one of the tough homebred bush ponies of Somali/Ethiopian/Arab and Thoroughbred bloodlines
- Camel walks – camels are the local workhorses, characterful and tough.
- Game drives – give your legs a rests and relax in one of Ol Malo’s ‘roof seat’ cars
- Ranch life – Ol Malo is a working family ranch and aims to be as self sufficient as possible.
- Mountain biking – walking – running – get out and enjoy the bush. Children can walk on the plains and discover the minibeasts.
- Samburu life – Ol Malo works closely with the Samburu Tribe through the Samburu Trust ensuring that their traditions survive
- This is home to the Samburu Trusts’ first Nomad school. Look at the Waldorf education system and join the kids on their walk to school.
Our luxury in Laikipia safari is perfect for honeymooners and families
Four rock and olive wood cottages nestle in the cliffs. Each room is private with its own veranda, ensuite bathrooms with the famous Francombe baths. Because of the great vantage point rooms have far reaching views towards Mount Kenya. To cap it all there’s an infinity pool for cooling off or simply lounging alongside.
Best time for a touch of Luxury in Laikipia
Year round destination :
- January – March
- June to October
(Photo credits courtesy Demetrio Carrasco for Rocky and Colin Francombe; John Berry)
You're met on arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi and transferred to the Faiview Hotel for one night on B&B basis.
Arrive Loisaba, transfer by car to Ol Malo (45min) in time for lunch. Relax by the pool or in rooms after lunch. Afternoon options: Game drive. Walk / horse ride and sundowners on the plains.
Early morning walk down below the lodge, meet some camels for a walk & ride and have a surprise bush breakfast. Late Lunch. Visit a Samburu manyatta in the evening.
Optional 5.30am wake up for farm visit. Early Walk / horse ride / camel ride to the nomad school before breakfast. Breakfast. Market visit. Lunch by pool. walk/game drive/horse.
Breakfast on verandah. Visit the beading workshop poolside lunch. Afternoon drive, river walk. Sundowners. Optional sleep out – camping, tree house or leopard hide.
Day trip options: by vehicle to game sanctuary to see game and lion. OR (Extra cost) helicoptor trip down the Suguta rift valley, Lake Jipi. picnic breakfast, lunch at Ol Malo-can be done any day.
Relaxed morning, late breakfast on verandah. Walk/game drive/horse/camel to the river for picnic lunch-afternoon of swimming, fishing, relaxing. Back late for a BBQ.
Breakfast, transfer to Loisaba for your scheduled flight to Nairobi. On arrival you'll have a driver and vehicle at your disposal until your international flight from JKIA
How to get there
International flight to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi. Please ask you Zambezi consultant if you would like us to book your flights for you.
OL MALO FAUNA & FLORA
Ol Malo offers a different type of game viewing far from the teaming plains of the Maasai Mara and its minibuses. Here we teach you the importance of everything in nature, from the whistling thorn ant to the elephant.
The Classic Okavango safari with first class accommodation and top notch professional guides in the Linyanti
The standard Hoanib Skeleton Coast Safari is a 5 day fly in tour into the remote Kaokveld of Namibia in search of desert elephants and shipwrecks
The Katavi and Mahale safari is an 8 night trip offering outstanding resident game in the wild Katavi plus chimpanzees in the remote forests of Mahale
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
Laikipia and the Northern Frontier District is where our real safari exploration takes place - beyond the crowdsRead More