safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
The Quirimbas Dhow Safari
Our Robinson Crusoe dhow safari explores the pristine tropical islands of Mozambique. Camp on deserted beaches, eat freshly caught fish, sip cocktails at sunset and snorkel coral reefs. Escape the present day pace of life and share our dhow safari experience…
- Quirimbas Archipelago - Ibo Island - Mogundula Island
- Quirimbas National Park - Ulumbwa Estuary
- 7 nights/ 8 days
Highlights of the Quirimbas Dhow safari
Sleepier than Zanzibar, there’s no other trip in the Indian Ocean which puts you in such relaxed touch with totally uninhabited desert islands like this.
- The weather’s gentle and and there’s plenty of time for fishing, kayaking, snorkeling and star gazing
- sail the Indian Ocean in a traditional dhow travelling with experienced English and Portuguese speaking crew. Explore coral islands, sandbar beaches and the largely unexplored northern beaches. With a maximum of 10 on board, we’ll set up river and beach camps as we go
- settle on the Ibo Island World Heritage Site for 3 nights. Home to an eclectic wealth of ancient architecture in the old trade wind port. guided tour of the old trade wind port to explore its history and culture.
- world class dive sites with rich coral reefs and some exceptional drop offs - just dive and explore the warm and gentle waters
Best time to do a Dhow safari
- June to October - warm, idyllic tropical weather. An uncrowded playground for divers and friendly spirits intent on relaxing on quiet and pristine beaches.
- April to October - warm tropical climate with average temperatures of around 23°C. (The trip is only available during these months.)
(Sandbank island by Roger de la Harpe courtesy Ibo Island)
You're met on arrival at the airport for road transfer to Mucojo and dhow to Mogundula - one of the best islands in the archipelago - great bird watching, swimming, snorkeling - truly magical!
Spend your first 2 nights on this island, just 4 km off the mainland. This uninhabited chic paradise with lake, coconut trees and secluded beaches is your bolt hole in the Indian Ocean!
Sail into the Quirimbas Archipelago, there's time to snorkel among the corals, fish, swim and picnic in the best spots - the choice is yours.
Set sail along the Ulumbwa estuary, look out for the mangroves. Tour the fishing villages before going on to the most southerly point on Matemo Island. Sail back to Ulumbwa to the camp for the night.
Set sail for 200 year old Ibo Town for 3 nights at Ibo Lodge.
Time for a little culture - explore 16th C forts with your Ibo Island guided tour, life remains unchanged here for centuries. Make time to visit the fort. The island is safe to explore at will.
Your return flight is over the island where you've spent the last 7 days, and on to Pemba International Airport for your onward flight. Ask your Zambezi consultant if you'd like to extend your trip.
How to get there
Arrive at Pemba in the north of Mozambique. Daily flights available into Pemba from South Africa and on several days a week from Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in Tanzania.
You’ll be met in Pemba for onward road transfer to Mucoja to the dhow.
Africa’s river systems and rich marine environments offer wild some playgrounds for anglers and sports fishermen. As an example Tigerfish give the finest freshwater fight in the world, best spots are on the Zambezi during the hot season from October to March. The East African coast from South Africa, through Mozambique to Kenya is renowned for marlin, sailfish and other game species.
"Zimbabwe-July: Hi Mark, Sophia and I had a brilliant time in Africa, and would like to thank-you very much for organising a fantastic trip for us. The canoe safari was"Andrew and Sophia read more >>
"Hi, Liz! I do have some comments that I would l like to make regarding the trip which was overall, spectacular and amazing. I had a wonderful time!. I LOVED"Charlene read more >>
The simple beach holiday during our winter safari season, great weather, quiet beaches and easy from South Africa at affordable prices
Far from tourist crowds you’ll find an unconventional safari and beach combo with big 5 game and the fresh water beaches of Lake Malawi
The traditional East African safari and beach combination of Selous and Zanzibar. Big game, wilderness with Swahili culture and a beach break.
The Katavi and Mahale safari is a 7 night trip offering outstanding resident game in the wild Katavi plus chimpanzees in the remote forests of Mahale
Quirimbas Archipelago on Mozambique's far northern coastline is one of the world's remotest beach destinations for diving and honeymoon holidaysRead More