Selinda Canoe Trail
Experience the ‘true Africa’ with our canoe trail along the Selinda Spillway. We paddle between the Okavango Delta and the Linyanti in northern Botswana. Getting back to nature on African soil and following in the footsteps of the early explorers.
The trip includes a couple of games drives in a 4×4 around the Okavango Delta and Linyati Swamps. The whole area is flooded annually when the rains fill the entire floodplain.
- Selinda Spillway
- Okavango Delta
- 5 days/4 nights
Floods in southern Africa have opened up the Selinda Spillway, our opportunity for an adventurous canoe safari.
Highlights of the Selinda Canoe trail
- Paddle the 70km waterway of the Selinda Spillway from the Okavango Delta to the Linyanti. Canoeing is easy, we stop off for impromptu explorations along the shoreline on foot. Camping overnight whenever it’s a convenient time to stop
- the 320 000 acre private Selinda Reserve is an excellent spot for seeing elephant, buffalo, sable and roan antelope, African painted wild dog among many other species
- our canoe trail covers a distance 45 kms.
- evenings are the time for a little relaxation under the stars
- camp is set prepared by the back up team on one of the Spillway’s islands
- our meals are all freshly cooked and served around the camp fire.
When is the best time to do the canoe trail?
April to early October – weekly set departures. Max. 8 guests canoe with our experienced guide.
Why not extend the canoe trail – stay at the one of the two permanent tented camps on the Selinda Reserve.
You'll be met at the airstrip for a game drive transfer to the meeting point where your canoe trail starts. Wildlife is amazing - buffalo, roan antelope, elephant and wild dog. Canoe introduction.
We'll paddle along the Spillway taking regular breaks and walks on the bank to spot wildlife.
The river which flows in two directions. Water flows into the Spillway from the Okavango Delta and Linyanti/Kwando rivers in opposite directions. It provides sustenance many wildlife species.
Every day we'll paddle the Spillway looking out for buffalo, African wild dog elephant, roan antelope. Stopping for walks on the bank when we spot something and for regular breaks.
Met at the end of the trail by a specially adapted safari vehicle for your second game drives. Ending at Selinda Airstrip to connect with your onward flight.
Tips and notes
A single supplement is applicable. Children 8 to 12 years may only be hosted on a privately booked canoe safari.
- Camping accommodation
- scheduled activities
- conservancy fees
- return airstrip transfers (Selinda airstrip)
- alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- all flights
- Visa fees and items of a personal nature
- travel and medical insurance.
How to get there
Scheduled flight to Maun and then by private charter to Selinda airstrip.
Weekly trips available.
Discover the Okavango World Heritage Site by foot, boat and vehicle. This safari tour over 8 days covers Moremi and the Delta.
The Tamarind canoe safari is one of our most popular lower Zambezi canoe safaris over 4 days from Chirundu down to Mana Pools World Heritage Site.
The secluded Linyanti Swamp is expanded by Selinda Reserve and Namibia's remote Mamili National Park to create one of southern Africa's best safari secretsRead More
Botswana's Okavango Delta is known for its wildlife diversity, it's one of Africa's best year round safari places with famous camps and lodgesRead More
The Selinda Reserve is centered on the famous Selinda Spillway which links the outer reaches of the Okavango Delta to the Linyanti SwampsRead More