Selous and Exotic Zanzibar
Explore the intricate network of river channels of the Selous National Park, UNESCO World Heritage Site, where wildlife dominates the vast landscapes. Discover Zanzibar’s historical sites and beautiful beaches of the Indian Ocean.
- Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania
- Stone Town, Zanzibar
- 8 days/7 nights
Highlights of the Selous Game Reserve and Zanzibar
- Selous Game Reserve is one of the world’s biggest wilderness sanctuaries. Some of its more remote areas can only be reached by plane.
- The terrain is lush and verdant, our camp overlooks a tributary of the Rufiji River, the perfect spot to sip sundowners and contemplate the day activities of the day
- a great place for viewing the abundant wildlife on foot, by vehicle or by boat
- expect to see elephant, lion, giraffes, leopard and if you’re in the right place at the right time you may even spot the rare African Wild Dog
- Air transfer takes you to exotic Zanzibar, relax on the tranquil beaches, swimming with dolphins and go diving and snorkeling
- cultural and historical experience around Stone Town
- dine on the freshest seafood
- take the plunge into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean or just chill on the beach.
Best time of year to Selous and Zanzibar
- June and October – sunny with very little rain. Low humidity, fewer mosquitoes so less risk of contracting malaria.
- Zanzibar is a great year round destination, generally warm and sunny, some showers usually at night and in the early morning.
You're met on arrival at Stiegars Airstrip for game drive transfer to your safari camp.
A day of game drives and picnics exploring the eco-systems of the Selous. Look out for wild dog, lion, giraffe, buffalo and elephant. Visit the grave of Frederick Courteney Selous. Dinner at the camp
Private bush breakfast - a true out of Africa experience. Game drive or bush walk with armed ranger to look at the birds, flora and fauna, discover tracks and signs of wildlife. Hilltop sundowners.
Early morning game drive or bird walk with residend naturalist. Afternooon river cruise toward Stieglars Gorge. Look out for tiger and cat fish. Evening fishing available too.
Final morning in Selous. Drive to Stieglers Airstrip for flight to Zanzibar where you'll be transferred to the Zanzibar Serena Inn in time for lunch. Explore Stone Town or take a dip in the pool.
Take an excursion to Mangapwani Beach Club for lunch and spend the afternoon soaking up the rays, book a Spice Island tour or just chill by the pool and try some health treatments.
The Serena is a great base for exploring Stone Town yet, it's in a peaceful location. Treat yourself to a Champagne breakfast, feast on fresh fruits and seafood for your last day on Zanzibar.
Make the most of your last morning on Zanzibar before you transfer to the airport for your onward flight.
How to get there
The safari starts and ends in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. Connections from South Africa, Kenya and Europe fly daily into Dar-es-Salaam.
The simple beach holiday during our winter safari season, great weather, quiet beaches and easy from South Africa at affordable prices
Explore the Indian Ocean from Mauritius to the little known Rodriguez Island and back – cruise and swimming with dolphins included.
Far from tourist crowds you’ll find an unconventional safari and beach combo with big 5 game and the fresh water beaches of Lake Malawi
Become a beach bum for a week. 4 nights island hopping on a dhow in Mozambique followed by 3 nights chilling on Ibo Island.
Selous Game Reserve is the largest, uninhabited and singularly bodied African wilderness with the biggest elephant concentration of any African parkRead More
Exotic Zanzibar delivers culturally, scenically and is unbeaten in the simple task of providing private beaches, plenty of sun and relaxation.Read More