safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Highlights of the Victoria Falls big 5 safari
- We spend 3 nights at Gorges Lodge just outside Victoria Falls, away from the crowds but within easy access of the Falls
- soak up the splendour of the rain forests overlooking the falls themselves
- plenty of time for intense game viewing in Zambezi National Park
- it’s just a short flight to Hwange for 3 nights in the heart of the National Park. (The reserve is on the north eastern border with Botswana so it shares the same eco system as Chobe)
- we’ll stay at Bomani Tented Safari Camp on our private Ngamo Forest concession bordering Hwange National Park.
- accommodation in charming en-suite tents overlooking the waterhole or plains
Best time to do this safari tour
Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are great year round destinations. The rainforest around the Falls is always soaked in the spray from the Falls.
- May to October – dry season when Hwange is at its very best. Large herds of elephants and other animals come to the waterholes to drink.
- April, May and September – the temperatures are pleasant with little rain.
- Do take some time to read these notes on our “secret seasons in Africa” as you’re most likely to miss the crowds and get the best prices.
See ‘useful info’ below for seasonal rates and optional activities
An excellent value Big 5 safari available year round
(Photos courtesy Tami Walker)
You'll be met on arrival by our driver for the 25 minute transfer to Gorges Lodge, on the edge of the gorge -your base for 3 nights. Time to arrange your sunset cruise and tour of the Falls.
Visit local village and school, Traditional dancing, Verreaux's eagle viewing with sun downers, gorge walk .
Vic Falls is a bucket list must see and you're about to find out why! One of the natural wonders of the world. 1700m wide and a 100m drop. Take a raincoat, the spray is constant all year round!
You'll transfer to Dete Railway Station by vehicle. Hop on the Elephant Express carriage to Bomani Tented Camp. Home to plentiful wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and 40,000 elephants!
Take an early morning walk followed by a morning drive after breakfast. In the afternoon you could head out again, stopping off for a sun downer and a night-drive back to camp.
A final game drive transfer back to the charming old fashioned railway carriage ride to Dete, and then on to Victoria Falls by vehicle. You'll be dropped off at Vic Falls Airport.
How to get there
Vic Falls is an easy flight from Johannesburg.
"Victoria Falls Big 5 Special – September Hi Mark, Feedback all very positive. We had a fantastic time, all the transfers and logistics went very smoothly which can make or"Daniel S read more >>
"We were impressed with all aspects of our safari. The Ilala lodge was lovely and also handy in terms of location to the Falls and town. "Cathy P read more >>
"Zimbabwe-November The Victoria Falls itinerary was wonderful. Ilala Lodge, Shockwave Rafting, and the Sunset Cruise were all excellent and I can strongly recommend these. The climb up the gorge after"Brian G read more >>
"Truly moving, emotional and inspiring. We loved everything about Zimbabwe, it's beauty, it's people, it's wildlife, the list is endless! "Andrew and Simon read more >>
"Hi Ang, Just want to let you know that my husband and I thought this trip was outstanding! First of all, all the flights were on time. We were a"Camille Globerman read more >>
"Hi, Liz! I do have some comments that I would l like to make regarding the trip which was overall, spectacular and amazing. I had a wonderful time!. I LOVED"Charlene read more >>
Visit Chobe National Park on an unbeatable and affordable safari tour from Victoria Falls
Explore Chobe and the Okavango on a fully supported mobile safari over 10 days. Run year round on set dates or private departures on request.
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
Free nights and transfers, intimate camps in private concessions and amazing wildlife
Hwange National Park adjoins the Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More