Victoria Falls Big 5 Safari
The Victoria Falls big 5 safari tour is an intense adventure from Africa’s iconic Vic Falls. This year-round wildlife bonanza combines the splendour of the World Heritage Site with some of the best big game in Hwange National Park.
- Victoria Falls
- Hwange National Park
- 7 days/6 nights
Highlights of the Victoria Falls big 5 safari
- We spend 3 nights at Gorges Lodge just outside Victoria Falls, away from the crowds but within easy access of the Falls
- you can get very active in Africa’s “adventure capital”
- plenty of time for intense game viewing in Zambezi National Park
- soak up the splendour of the rain forests overlooking the falls themselves
- it’s just a short flight to Hwange for 3 nights in the heart of the National Park. (The reserve is on the north eastern border with Botswana so it shares the same eco system as Chobe)
- we’ll stay at the the Hide Safari Camp within the Hwange National Park.
- accommodation in beautifully-furnished en-suite tents with private verandas overlookint a nearby waterhole.
Best time to do this safari tour
Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are great year round destinations. The rainforest around the Falls is always soaked in the spray from the Falls so we’ll provide a raincoat and waterproof bag for your camera.
- May to October – dry season when Hwange is at its very best. Large herds of elephants and other animals come to the waterholes to drink.
- April, May and September – the temperatures are pleasant with little rain.
- Do take some time to read these notes on our “secret seasons in Africa” as you’re most likely to miss the crowds and get the best prices.
See ‘useful info’ below for seasonal rates and optional activities
An excellent value Big 5 safari available year round
(Photos courtesy Tami Walker)
You'll be met on arrival by our driver for the 25 minute transfer to Gorges Lodge, on the edge of the gorge -your base for 3 nights. Time to arrange your sunset cruise and tour of the Falls.
Visit local village and school, Traditional dancing, Verreaux's eagle viewing with sundowners, Gorge walk
Vic Falls is a bucket list must see and you're about to find out why! One of the natural wonders of the world. 1700m wide and a 100m drop. Take a raincoat, the spray is constant all year round!
You'll be picked up from your hotel after breakfast for your game drive transfer to The Hide. Surrounded by private concession home to wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and 40,000 elephants!
Take an early morning walk followed by a morning drive after breakfast. In the afternoon you could head out again, stopping off for a sundowner and a night-drive back to camp.
A final game drive transfer back to the airstrip for your flight to Vic Falls Airport and your onward travel.
How to get there
Vic Falls is an easy flight from Johannesburg.
"Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe Johannesburg, Thornybush & Cape Town in South Africa Windhoek & Skeleton Coast in Namibia The trip was wonderful! Thank you Liz for your diligence in putting together"Ellen Deutsch read more >>
"Southern Africa Family Safari – August: After a very successful trip we have just negotiated the nightmare that is Euston when all trains are cancelled! We could not praise the"Judith C read more >>
Visit Chobe National Park on an unbeatable and affordable safari tour from Victoria Falls
Explore Chobe and the Okavango on a fully supported mobile safari over 10 days. Run year round on set dates or private departures on request.
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
Probably one of the best deals you’ll find from Victoria Falls into Hwange.
Hwange National Park adjoins the Chobe ecosystem known for its large elephant herds and wild dogs, prolific wildlife for walking and jeep safarisRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More