safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Push yourself into wildest Africa
Every step you take on this epic 10 day Zakouma safari is an experience… under the guidance of John Addison – known as the bare footed guy and seventh generation South African we explore 350 000 ha of raw Africa.
Zakouma is a haven for wildlife. Lions seek out vast buffalo herds on the open plains and the birding is amazing with thousands of red-billed quelea flocking together. Its also home to rarities such as roan and tiang.
- Zakouma National Park
- 10 days/9 nights
Highlights of our Zakouma safari in Chad
John Addison pushes the boundaries eager to explore Africa’s next best ‘secret’ destination. This trip is guaranteed to be a treat, John’s vast knowledge and boundless enthusiasm for all things wild and natural is spelling binding. If hot, untamed and untouched is the way you like it, this is Zakouma safari is a must.
- explore Zakouma National Park, one of the last remaining Sudano Sahelian ecosystems in Africa.
- stay at Tinga Camp on the banks of the Bahr Tinga set amongst Tamarind trees. Accommodation is in ensuite cottages. Tinga Camp is in the middle of a wildlife rich area, ripe for exploration with day and night game drives in 4×4’s, game walks rounded of with bush dinners. There’s also the opportunity to visit the local community market – a highlight and a must for any visitor to Zakouma
- wildlife includes a thriving elephant and buffalo populations. (Elephant population which was brought back from the brink of extinction. Buffalo population that has grown from 200 in 1986, to over 10,000 in 2016)
- excellent birding – 373 bird species recorded including 40 raptor species. With vulnerable populations of the black-crowned crane, lappet faced vulture and the lesser kestrel. There’s also abundance of Northern carmine bee-eaters and red-billed quelea. Zakouma is also home to the Abyssinian Ground-hornbill.
- village life and cultural experience
Best time to do our Zakouma safari
- Zakouma has a really short dry season. That’s between November and May.
- The best time of year is at the end of the hot dry season from March to May.
- Our scheduled Zakouma safari is in April when maximum temperature range from 34 C – 45C (temperatures can climb to 48 C and above)
Arrive in the capital of Chad, N’Djaména, and transfer to Hilton Hotel. N’Djeména is a port city on the Chari River. Overnight stay at Hilton Hotel.
Transfer from Hilton Hotel to airport for charter flight to Zakouma National Park. Transfer to Tinga Camp (15 minute drive), the camp is in an idyllic spot on the Tinga River.
Spend 7 days exploring Zakouma with your own vehicle and guide. As an important source of water in a harsh environment, Zakouma attracts amazing wildlife like this kordofan giraffe.
Transfer back to N’Djaména, where you can opt to stay another night (additional cost) or flight out same day.
How to get there
The safari starts at ends N’djaména Chad.
Includes: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Soft drinks, Bottled water, Wine, Beer & Spirits, Tea/coffee. Laundry, Scheduled safari activities and Park fees. At the Hilton Hotel Breakfast. Meet and greet on arrival in N’djamena. All transfers between airports, Hotels and camp. Domestic charter flights return between N’djamena and Zakouma. Accommodation on safari is arranged on an (AI) All Inclusive basis which includes all meals and drinks (excl. some premium brands). (B) Breakfast. (D) Dinner.
Zakouma attracts amazing wildlife. The dry season is the best time for game viewing because this attracts wildlife that migrates out of the park during the wet season. Some of the wildlife you can encounter:
- Predators – Lion, leopard, cheetah, spotted hyena and wild dog. Other smaller species include, civet, serval, caracal, jackal,…
- Herbivores – Elephant, Kordofan giraffe, Central African Savannah buffalo, Western greater kudu, tiang, roan antelope,…
- Threatened Species – Elephants, black crowned crane, black breasted barbet
- Bird Species – Zakouma is a valuable stop-over and breeding ground for birds. A total of 388 bird species reside in the park
"Zimbabwe October: We have just returned from a holiday of a lifetime! Right from the beginning – our experience with Liz and Char from Zambezi Safari & Travel Company Ltd"Marc & Joanne read more >>
Unlikely to fill mainstream bucket lists, Zakouma is right if you like things hot, untamed and untouched!Read More