safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Zakouma Safari Chad - remote, wild Africa
Every step you take on this epic 9 day Zakouma safari, Chad is an experience. Under the expert guidance, explore 350 000 ha of raw central African savannah.
Zakouma is a haven for wildlife. Lions seek out vast buffalo herds on the open plains. The birding is absolutely amazing with thousands of red-billed quelea flocking together in vast murmurings. Tens of thousands of water birds seek out the pans and rivers. Plus the park is also home to rarities such as Kordofan girafffe, red fronted gazelle, roan and tiang.
- N’Djamena - 1 night
- Charter flight to/from Zakouma
- Zakouma National Park
- small group departures (limited places!)
Highlights of our Zakouma safari in Chad
Here we push the boundaries - eager to explore Africa’s next best ‘secret’ destination. This trip is guaranteed to be an exclusive treat! Your guide has lived in and led trips all over Africa - his vast knowledge and boundless enthusiasm for all things wild and natural is spellbinding. If hot, untamed and untouched is the way you like it, then this Zakouma safari is a must.
- explore Zakouma National Park, one of the last remaining Sudano Sahelian ecosystems in Africa
- stay at Tinga Camp on the banks of the Bahr Tinga set amongst Tamarind trees. Accommodation is in ensuite cottages. Tinga Camp is in the middle of a wildlife rich area, ripe for exploration with day and night game drives in 4×4’s, or game walks rounded off with bush dinners. Game is frequently in camp itself!
- wildlife includes thriving elephant and buffalo populations. (Elephant population now well over 500 - brought back from the brink of extinction. Buffalo population that has grown from 200 in 1986, to over 10,000 in 2016)
- excellent birding - around 400 bird species recorded including 40 raptor species. Also, vulnerable populations of the black-crowned crane, lappet faced vulture and the lesser kestrel. There’s also an abundance of Northern carmine bee-eaters at the end of the dry season. Zakouma is also home to the Abyssinian Ground-hornbill.
- village life and cultural experience. There’s the opportunity to visit the local schools, and African Parks anti-poaching HQ. So this is a must for any visitor to understand the complications and success story of Zakouma
Best time to join us on our Zakouma safari
Set date departures
- 18 & 25 April 2020
- 17 & 24 April 2021
(Zakouma is in the National Geographic’s list of “top places to visit in 2020”!)
Arrive in the capital of Chad, N’Djaména, and transfer to Hilton Hotel. N’Djeména is a port city on the Chari River. Overnight stay at Hilton Hotel.
Transfer from Hilton Hotel to airport for charter flight to Zakouma National Park. Transfer to Tinga Camp (15 minute drive), the camp is in an idyllic spot on the Tinga River.
Spend 7 days exploring Zakouma with your own vehicle and guide. As an important source of water in a harsh environment, Zakouma attracts amazing wildlife like this kordofan giraffe.
Transfer back to N’Djaména, where you can opt to stay another night (additional cost) or flight out same day.
Tips and notes
How to get there
The safari starts at ends N’djaména Chad.
Includes: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Soft drinks, Bottled water, Wine, Beer & Spirits, Tea/coffee. Laundry, Scheduled safari activities and Park fees. At the Hilton Hotel Breakfast. Meet and greet on arrival in N’djamena. All transfers between airports, Hotels and camp. Domestic charter flights return between N’djamena and Zakouma. Accommodation on safari is arranged on an (AI) All Inclusive basis which includes all meals and drinks (excl. some premium brands). (B) Breakfast. (D) Dinner.
Zakouma attracts amazing wildlife. The dry season is the best time for game viewing because this attracts wildlife that migrates out of the park during the wet season. Some of the wildlife you can encounter:
- Predators – Lion, leopard, cheetah, spotted hyena and wild dog. Other smaller species include, civet, serval, caracal, jackal,…
- Herbivores – Elephant, Kordofan giraffe, Central African Savannah buffalo, Western greater kudu, tiang, roan antelope,…
- Threatened Species – Elephants, black crowned crane, black breasted barbet
- Bird Species – Zakouma is a valuable stop-over and breeding ground for birds. A total of 388 bird species reside in the park
"Zimbabwe October: We have just returned from a holiday of a lifetime! Right from the beginning - our experience with Liz and Char from Zambezi Safari & Travel Company Ltd"Marc & Joanne read more >>
Unlikely to fill mainstream bucket lists, Zakouma is right if you like things hot, untamed and untouched!Read More