The Spirit of the Zambezi
Arguably the best Zambezi safari around for decades – by canoe, foot, vehicle and good wits – always in the company of best friends. From Mana Pools to Matusadona to Vic Falls. Our traditional and ORIGINAL “Spirit of the Zambezi” safari. It’s been the bare-bones-guts of the best Zambezi trips for 21 years!
- Mana Pools National Park
- Matusadona National Park on Lake Kariba
- Victoria Falls
- Zambezi National Park
- 10 days/9 nights
Highlights of this Zambezi Safari
- 3-night canoeing trip down the Lower Zambezi, through the heart of the Mana Pools National Park.
- plane transfer to Musango Island on Lake Kariba with 3 nights shoreline of Matusadona National Park.
- light aircraft to Victoria Falls
- 3 nights on the upper Zambezi
- guided tour of Victoria Falls, sunset cruise on the Upper Zambezi River
- a day-trip to the Chobe National Park in Botswana for a different landscape, new river and more wildlife.
Best times for this gem
- October and November if you can handle the heat and have an affinity for some of Africa’s wildest thunderstorms. Outstanding migrant birds, residents go truly wild as the new rains start (around mid November)
- early December if you’re looking for some of the most abundant new life with no tourists in sight
- January to April – birds, bugs, big beasts and complete abundance with few visitors about – good rains in February (stick to reliable routes)
- May and June – absolute champagne months
- July to September – great game, predictably good warm weather – prime time
- late September and October – best time for game. Very hot and water is scarce in the bush.
Meet at the office in Kariba at 7.30 - briefing. Start canoeing stopping for lunch, refreshments en route, setting up camp at 5pm. Campsites are on designated island sites.
Day starts with tea/coffee and biscuits at sunrise. Pack up camp and set off. stop for breakfast then continue canoeing until lunch and siesta to avoid the midday heat.
Transfer to Mana Pools Airstrip for your flight to Bumi Hills where you're met by boat and taken to Musango Safari Camp.Good game watching as you explore Lake Kariba.
Boat transfer back to Bumi Hills airstrip and on to Victoria Falls. Road transfer to Imbabla. Tour the Falls, day trip to Chobe NP for game viewing, time to explore Victoria Falls.
Transfer to Victoria Falls Airport after breakfast, where you will connect to your scheduled flight home.
Tips and notes
- Road transfers to and from Kariba town
- All meals
- Tea, coffee, cordials, imported wines with dinner and 2 litres of mineral water per person per day
- Canoeing equipment
- Camping equipment
- Fully qualified and experienced canoe guide
- Additional drinks – you will be taken shopping to buy your own additional beverages, with cool boxes supplied to store them in
- Camping and national parks fees @US$100pppn (payable in cash)
How to get there
Fly to either Harare, Victoria Falls or Lusaka and transfer from there.
You will start your canoe safari on the Zambezi from Kariba
This trip can be combined with a number of others, and is particularly excellent when done in conjunction with a visit to Victoria Falls and a safari in the Hwange National Park.
"Victoria Falls-Hwange-Chobe June-July Everything went like clockwork!! Thank you for organising our trip – we can recommend Zambezi Safari & Safari Co. Ltd to any prospective travellers… From when we"David S read more >>
"My safari booking with Zambezi exceeded my expectations!"Mike Berlin read more >>
"Zimbabwe – September: The trip was awesome and, in particular, Blue Footprints was spectacular! We loved it there and highly recommend it, you found a gem there! So many good"Ron M read more >>
" Zambia: We had a fantastic trip thank you very much! We had a very positive booking experience with your company and would recommend this to our friends and colleagues if"Marie.B read more >>
"Zimbabwe July: I had travelled with Zambezi Safari & Travel before but my partner Janet hadn’t. We were both taking early retirement and I wanted to surprise her with something"Steve and Janet read more >>
"Zimbabwe – September We had a fabulous time in Zimbabwe. Ruckomechi has a great position on the river although not being actually in Mana Pools The variety on offer at"Barbara C read more >>
"Fantastic 3 weeks away in Zimbabwe – Just returned from a fantastic 3 weeks away with so many contrasts and plenty of highs! The arrangements you made (and changed), for"Tim read more >>
"Zimbabwe-October We all had a wonderful time and thank you so much for your expert organization – everything worked like clock work and we were all impressed by Zimbabwe. Can’t"Nigel P read more >>
"Kariba Canoe Safari Zimbabwe Hwange Cape Town in February We had and absolute fabulous time… So glad you were there to help us with the up’s and down’s Thanks again"Rebecca F read more >>
"Look no further! Our experience with the Zambezi Safari and Travel Company was faultless: We were particularly impressed with their detailed knowledge of the country and their attention to detail"Debbie B read more >>
"Zimbabwe-June: Hello Liz, We had a wonderful and memorable trip to Zimbabwe. Your arrangements were impeccable and everything went off like clockwork. As you know this is our 2nd trip"Venkat R read more >>
"Zimbabwe – September We have been pining away for Zimbabwe since we arrived back in the United States. First and foremost, I want to thank you for suggesting and putting"Joe M read more >>
"Thank you so much for organising such an amazing trip for us Our Aussie friends loved every single second of it and couldn’t believe that each day seemed to get"J read more >>
"Hi Mark, We had a fantastic holiday which went very smoothly and much too fast. Hopefully we can get back there one day! Richard"Richard and Natasha read more >>
"Dear Ang, The trip went well, very well. Every thing was great, more, to be honest, the trip has gone better than I expected. If you want I can describe"read more >>
"Victoria Falls in September: It was an experience of a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the entire staff being superb. Everyone was so accommodating. Being greeted by Denzel, who"Patricia N read more >>
"Zimbabwe-September: Hi Chris, Sorry it’s taken so long to give you feedback from our trip to Zimbabwe! We took the plunge to visit Zimbabwe this September, after hearing great reviews!"Tony + Helen R read more >>
"Mana Pools Canoe – September Hi Mark Just wanted to let you know that Ruckomechi and the Mana Canoe Trail were amazing. It is said that Zimbabweans are the kindest"Damien D read more >>
Get into the heart of Zambia’s premier wildlife hotspot… luxury bushcamps, excellent cuisine and top notch Professional Guides
A 7-night exploration of Mana Pools – a canoeing and walking safari with top professional guides, outstanding wildlife and authentic camps
A walking safari between two remote and seasonal camps in the Luangwa’s Chikoko area along elephant and hippo trails
Combine creature comforts in Victoria Falls with an active safari in Hwange’s wild reaches with one of Zimbabwe’s top guiding teams over a week
Mana Pools National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve is best known for Zambezi canoeing and walking safarisRead More
Matusadona is on the edge of Lake Kariba in the middle Zambezi Valley, one of the last wild sanctuaries of the black rhino and a safari secret of noteRead More
Victoria Falls is Africa's adventure capital and hub for wildlife safaris with easy access in the best safari destinationsRead More