safaris since 1995
promised or better
24 / 7 / 365
Travel Insurance is a pre-requisite for any safari - you simply can’t join us if you don’t have it. We’ve tried to de-mystify the topic with some basic explanations and web links to providers.
Irrespective of whether you’re on a business trip or a high-risk adventure to a remote spot in Africa don’t leave home without adequate insurance cover. If you’re coming on safari, you need to understand that any safari activity is potentially hazardous. Also the Third World doesn’t always run as smoothly as you might like. Travel insurance is your responsibility and you must have it.
There’re two types of insurance for which you must make provision
- International Medical Insurance is short or long term medical insurance designed to reimburse you for medical expenses incurred when you’re travelling
- Travel Protection Plans will cover your non-reimbursed travel expenses if an emergency occurs. (This includes death, sickness, airline strike, technical delays on flights, tour company/operator default/bankruptcy etc.) occurs right before or during your trip causing it to be cancelled, interrupted or delayed.
Some basic travel insurance tips
- If your remuneration package, existing insurance policies or credit cards include international travel insurance then check the small print to ensure that you’re adequately covered.
- “Adequate cover” = how long is a piece of string. Unfortunately this is your call, we don’t define your needs. Appreciate that if you require emergency evacuation or urgent high care treatment for whatever reason, you’ll need to be able to cover the costs without delay.
- International travel insurance whilst on foreign travel is a prudent option under normal circumstances - it’s an absolute necessity when planning a safari.
- Ensure that your premiums are up to date and keep a copy of your travel insurance card or certificate of coverage handy.
Some valuable web sources for travel insurance
US Residents: Access America, Travel Guard International, TravelSafe, World Medical Plan, Universal Travel Protection
UK Residents: Travel Insurance Direct
For all others, see World Travel Center: read the newsletters, featured articles and global notes - valuable resource for simple facts on travel insurance
…also Global Travel Insurance: travel tips for the “travel weary and travel savvy” - simple, sensible stuff…
Visas and documents
CIBTvisas is the recognised industry leader in international travel visas and passports. They provide services through a network of over 31 offices in 11 countries including the USA, UK, Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland.
Canadians should consider the Department of Foreign Affairs